On Thursday 24 January 2008 05:20, Marco De Felice wrote:
> On 2008/1/19, Len Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday 09 October 2007 04:30, Marco De Felice wrote:
> > > System Information
> > > Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
> > > Product Name: HP Pavilion dv9000 (RR109EA#ABZ)
> > > Version: Rev 1
> > > Serial Number: CNF6510ZHG
> > > UUID: 434E4636-3531-305A-4847-001636C68701
> > > Wake-up Type: Power Switch
> > > SKU Number: RR109EA#ABZ
> > > Family: 103C_5335KV
> > >
> > > Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 8 bytes
> > > Base Board Information
> > > Manufacturer: Quanta
> > > Product Name: 30B9
> >

> > Thanks for the dmidecode output.
> >
> > Do you notice any functional difference when booting with
> >
> > "acpi_osi=Linux"        (default for 2.6.22 and earlier)
> > vs.
> > "acpi_osi=!Linux"       (default for 2.6.23 and later)
> >
> > In particular, please try out sound in both cases.
> >
> > Also, please send me the output from acpidump.
> >

> Thanks to you
> At the time I sent the dmidecode output i was on a 32 bit linux kernel and
> in fact I had to boot with the option acpi_osi="!Linux" (I'm sorry but I
> don't remember where the boot hanged without this option, it could be that
> it was a video driver problem).
> Now I'm on a x86_64 2.6.22-14-rt kernel (the distro being Ubuntu Studio 7.10)
> and I have to boot with "noapic" option and the acpi_osi has no effect at
> all, sound is always ok.
> If I boot without "noapic", again regardless of the acpi_osi option the boot
> process hangs at "[*] Loading hardware drivers"
> I'm sending also a new dmidecode because hp released a new bios.
>
> Please don't hesitate to ask whatever further test you need, also including
> installing a different kernel/distribution.

Thanks for the acpidump.

The ASL below confirms your observation that with this version of the BIOS,
OSI(Linux) is a NOP for the HP dv9000, for OSYS is immediately overwritten
after it is first set.

I don't know what the issue is with the IOAPIC.
It is hard to believe that HP, Quanta, and AMD
intend that box to run in PIC mode, since it is multi-core.
(insert plug for Intel chipsets here:-)

thanks,
-Len

        Device (PCI0)