Zhang, Rui wrote:
On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 16:29 +0800, Jean Delvare wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:54:06 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
Zhang, Rui wrote:
Hi, Hans,

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 16:00 +0800, Hans de Goede wrote:

I think all that is really needed and asked for is for the new
thermal
ACPI
code to:
1) provide temp readings in the same format as hwmon (so milli
degrees
celcius,
not degrees celcius
Agree.
2) provide a hwmon interface so that tools like (but not limited
too):
* net-snmp
* mrtg
* sensors
* sensors-applet (gnome)
* xfce-sensors-applet
* ksysguard
* ksensors
* gkrellm

Can provide temp and fan readings without having to be modified.
hmm, for fan device, maybe something like this?
pwm[1-*]_enable = 1 : manual fan control (using pwm[1-*])
              2+: automatic fan control (by acpi thermal driver)
pwm[1-*] = 0  : fan is off.
pwm[1-*] = 255: fan is on.
pwm[1-*] has only two valid values as ACPI fan only support
two states, ON/OFF. and it doesn't need fan[1-*]_input because the
fan
speed is not available.
Yes, it can work for ACPI fan although I don't think the existing
pwm
hwmon I/F maps well to what we need and it seems like a "forced
fit" to
use it. Any better ideas? :)

I wouldn't expose a pwm interface, doing so isn't that important as
none of the
above listed apps actually use it, the pwm interface really only is
for people

Note: libsensors itself doesn't care about the pwm files.

who want to manually tweak their fan speed and / or use some scripts
to control
the fan speed based on temp when the hardware doesn't support it, as
such it
doesn't get widely used, also since there isn't a really good
mapping between
acpi thermalzone stuff and the hwmon pwm interface I wouldn't add a
pwm
interface to a hwmon interface the the thermal zone code.

And if fan speeds aren't available (aren't they?) then I would only
add a hwmon
  class reference to a sysfs dir containing tempX_input's and a name
atrribute
and leave it at that.

But thats just my 2 euro-cents
FWIW, I agree with pretty much everything Hans said.

Additionally, we could map the critical trip point to tempX_crit
(read-only).

Note that since lm-sensors 3.0.1, libsensors accepts hardware
monitoring attributes in the hwmon "class" device directory, and I
recommend doing this so as to have a separate namespace. This will
ensure that we don't get name collisions, and it makes things cleaner
anyway.
then we'll have have duplicate attributes for temperature and critical
trip point, like:
/sys/class/hwmon/
|hwmon0
        |---name
        |---temp1_input
        |---temp1_crit
        |device         --->/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone1
                |---type
                |---temp(in millidegree Celsius)
                |---trip_point_0_type:  critical
                |---trip_point_0_temp(in millidegree Celsius)
It's okay if we always keep these them in sync, right?

Yes thats the whole idea, then lm_sensors using applications can get the info you add to the hwmon dir without having to learn yet another API (esp since allmost all these applications are always only reading things like temperature and maybe limits, and are not interested in the more advanced stuff.

Regards,

Hans
-