  Re: Id Software developer prefers OS X to Linux, NT (J.C.)

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 02:39:22 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Jason Bowen wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>support looking
> > >>

> > >What is the concentration of CFC's in the upper atmosphere, oh ignorant
> > >freshman.
> >
> > Last reading I saw was 3.6ppb billion, already referenced it.  Plantlife
>
> In other words...negligible.

Define negligible.

> Case dismissed as the plaintiff has failed to show cause.

Hey dumbfuck, define negligible.

> > account for about .3ppb.
>
> Let's see...a little college leftists.

How does this make me a leftist?  I wouldn't be caught dead being a
liberal fucking Republican.  You gonna vote for Dubya the liar?  Or Al
the creator of the internet?

> Tell me....were you an outcast in high school....

I wasn't you obviously were.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 02:34:46 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Jason Bowen wrote:
> >
> > Bob Germer wrote:

> > > Ah, but Copernicus PROVED his theory by verifiable, repeatable
> > > measurements which eliminated all other possibilities. Einstein's theories
> > > have been proven by repeatable experiments which preclude any alternate
> > > possibilities.
> > >
> > > But until the econuts PROVE their theories about CFC's, they are junk
> > > scientists and not to be trusted. And until the theories are PROVEN, I
> > > refuse to sanction actions based thereupon.
> > >

> > Oh man this is rich.  So unitl it is verifiable you will call it a lie and not
>support looking
> > into it?  You would've been right their lynching Copernicus.  What an asshole.
> >

> What is the concentration of CFC's in the upper atmosphere, oh ignorant
> freshman.

The NOAA figure I've been reading is 3.3ppb with 0.6ppb coming from
plant life.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 02:32:26 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Jason Bowen wrote:
> >
> > Bob Germer wrote:

> > > Typical Freshman arrogance. Until a theory is PROVEN, I refuse to take
> > > action based upon predictions, etc. arising from said theory. Investigate
> > > all you want. Do not, however, ask me to take or sanction any action
> > > arising from said theory until it is proven.
> >
> > Typical freshman arrogance?  You'd make a poor scientist if you waited
> > for a theory to be proven wrong.
>
> Obviously, you don't have the slightest fucking clue about the
> scientific method.

You taken idea, postulate it, if it works it becomes theory.  If it is
never proven wrong it is law.  For instance the fundamental theorem of
calcus is a theory but seems to work well enough that an engineer can
build that computer you typed this message on.

> How many hours of atmospheric science have you taken?

20+ geology.  How many have you taken?

> What were your grades, punk...

My geology gpa is 3.3.  What was yours and what does it prove?

> And lastly...what is the conctration of CFC's in the upper atmosphere
> over the poles

3.6ppb like I said with plant life providing .3ppb.

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming.  (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 02:41:20 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Jason Bowen wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >You know...a GOOD university education teaches the student that there
> > >is much that he does not know.
> > >
> > >In your case, it is quite evident that the educational process has been
> > >a failure.
> > >
> > >I suggest you apply for a refund.
> >
> > Obviously you can't respond with anything so you try to demean me.  It
>
> You are an ignorant jackass.
>
> That's not an insult...it's an honest assesment.

Sorry you can't make a real argument.  There is a gun waiting for you.

> > doesn't work as the words of an obvious asshole don't mean shit.  If you
> > can reply to each point go right ahead.
>
> Your diatribes are nothing but leftist control-freak propaganda.
>
> Scientific evidence contradicts ALL of your arguments.
>
> now...little freshman loser...SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP.

I'm talking about what I see, haven't talked about solutions to
anything.  Nice projection you fucking republicrat.  Go eat a gun.
Proclaiming yourself to be intellectual doesn't suit you well.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FM)
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: 18 Sep 2000 07:58:25 GMT

Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>An interface is a language with its own peculiar idioms that users
>must memorize. This is a lot of work and I can't blame users when
>I know for myself that the interface is arbitrary, overly complex
>and doesn't make any sense; some languages are a LOT easier to learn
>than others.

Some languages also provide more flexibility than others
and some languages are really meant to be meta-languages
for other languages to be built on. Languages represent
paradigms and when you already have a simple, yet powerful
paradigm, and you believe you came up with  a paradigm
that is a bit more complex but in the end is more powerful,
you build that paradigm on top of the existing paradigm.
It's all too easy to get caught up in the idea of rebuilding
everything from the start. By the time you are able to match
the existing systems in features and flexibility, you will
often find that the amount of complexity is far greater.

>The key difference is that it is programmers' *jobs* to write good
>software and it *isn't* users' jobs to put up with bad software.

Not when those said programmers are getting paid for these
softwares and not when those said users haven't paid for those
softwares.

>People are incredibly defensive about their contributions. If you tell
>them that here is this project that, once finished, will prove just how
>worthless the last decade of programming they engaged in was, they're
>not going to like it. Nor are most Linuxers going to admit that your
>prototypical Luser has legitimate grievances with your software, even
>if he can't verbalize them.

The problem with this assessment of course, is that you seem
to have this completely unjustfied sense of righteousness that
you KNOW what users need and don't. Frankly, those guys in
Redmond did too, and failed miserably. And I don't agree at all
that your system will be any less user-hostile. It's just that
people hate complex or abstract things and that's what
everything on computer is. Some systems try to guess the user's
mind and as a result become actually harder to use, as they
become more undeterministic. The easiest system to use is one
that follows simple rules.

>I'm not sure. I would have put you in the category of programmer
>regardless of your technical knowledge. The user/programmer divide
>is technical /and/ psychological. You're a technical user but I
>don't think that your attitude is "I don't care how it works, I
>just want to get my job done." In that sense, I might be more of
>a user than you are because after I got over my "look at the shiny
>new toy" phase with Linux, I decided that I just didn't give a
>damn about what I can do with Linux, as long as I could use it to
>do what I wanted. Despite working on my own OS, I'm a (l)user even
>with regards to OSes.

And your division is completely meaningless.

>But in any case, what I meant by my statement was purely technical.
>Everything in Unix is disconnected and non-uniform.

Unix is extremely simple and uniform.

>It may make
>sense to a C programmer (naaahhhh)

It makes ample sense to a scheme programmer here as well. And
for what it's worth, scheme is FAR more consistent than C or
Smalltalk.

>but it makes no sense to a user,
>and there is no way for a user to learn about it progressively
>or through exploration. You can't ls /ram and find /ram/pageable,
>/ram/non-pageable, and take a look through to learn which is which.
>You can't go to /ram/pageable/process1 and use cp to fork process1.
>You can't go to /ram/pageable/network-stack and see what's there.
>The list of things you can do is dwarfed by the list of things
>you *can't* do (and should be able to).

Again, why do you just randomly find things that you think
are supposed to be there, but aren't? For ANY system, there
will be users (mostly misguided ones) who will think they
should be able to do certain things they can't. The kind of
things you speak of above that you think you should be able
to do is so completely nonsensical that it's not even funny.

>I'm not so sure. There are lots of OS projects aimed at reliability or
>programming freedom, or "media", or all kinds of stuff that users never
>get to see. I have yet to find a single OS project aimed at enabling the
>structured exploration of the world, for lack of a better description.

Because generally those things are misguided and quickly
buried.

>At this point in time, I honestly believe that I am doing something that
>nobody has ever attempted before.

Try deja.com and see if the thread about "Tao OS" is still
available. Tunes.org is always good for reflection.

>The closest thing that comes to it is
>Smalltalk, not exactly encouraging but I'll be happy if a thousand people
>use my OS in ten years time.

Ah, another Smalltalk advocate. It's a fairly nice system,
but it's far from the perfect system or anything close.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FM)
Date: 18 Sep 2000 08:16:18 GMT

Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It doesn't matter. KDE does not, and CANNOT reopen an "unsaved"
>game of Quake. Orthogonal Persistence means that applications
>don't need to provide a "save" function.

Orthogonal Persistence is also hard to implement and impose
arbitrary limitations on how the system is implemented. It's
also difficult to port existing programs to work on persistent
systems and application avaialability is one of the most
important criteria for users.

>Moreover, in an OPOS, it should be possible to snapshot the system
>regularly and reboot to an arbitrary snapshot. So you could shut down
>your computer today and reboot into your computer as it was a week
>ago, then work in it for a while and switch back to how it was this
>morning. And since it shouldn't be /too/ much trouble to emulate an
>entire machine, you should be able to "virtually reboot" your machine
>(and see both snapshots in different desktops) so that you can retrieve
>processes that existed a week ago into your current snapshot.

Yeah yeah yeah. Have you even given thoughts to this idea
and how it can be implemented? Damn, it's funny how when
someone speaks of an original idea that you thought of years
ago when you were a kid, and since then discovered that
other people have studied this idea to death and then
learned some of its problems.

>> Reopening all applications on a reboot (or logout and re-login) is not
>> always the ideal response - what

>Yes it is. With the caveat that in an orthogonally persistent OS, you
>are never "reopening" anything, you're only swapping back in the
>processes that were flushed to disk for the shutdown.

No it isn't. Why shouldn't closing be treated as closing?
Why should you reboot a system when you don't want it to
reboot? Just because you think this is the right way doesn't
mean it is.

>Because they're restricted by the overall Unix paradigm?

Your paradigm is FAR FAR more limiting, for better or worse.

>Because they don't know of any better way?

Your pretense that you do is quite laughable.

>Because they don't know their own needs?
>Because they're being lazy?
>Because they lack self-confidence?
>Because they lack imagination?

Yeah yeah yeah. I'm not going to be bothered by writing
another OS, unless I really have a good new idea, unlike
you, who seems perfectly content to feel the need to
promote ideas that you truly don't understand and haven't
even thought out very well.

Dan.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FM)
Date: 18 Sep 2000 08:27:38 GMT

Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Keep dreaming. I think you have a very limited understanding of just
>how far-reaching my vision is.

It's not your vision. It's an old subject in Operating
System research.

>Besides, the requirement that programs
>"support" session management is arbitrary, onerous and intolerable. If
>you're a programmer, you shouldn't even need to provide a "save" function.

I'll just keep laughing at your "new ideas"

http://www.cse.unsw.EDU.AU/~disy/Mungi/
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/levy/opal/opal.html
http://www.cis.upenn.edu:80/~eros/
http://www.gh.cs.su.oz.au/Grasshopper/index.html

I mean it's well-understood enough that there already
are several operating systems that support orthogonal
persistence. It has some tangible benefits, but it
doesn't fit into the existing model well enough to
avoid compatibility issues. It's like trying to
translate C code to Unlambda.

Dan.

------------------------------

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 01:57:04 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Bob Germer wrote:
>
>> On 09/18/2000 at 06:38 AM,
>>    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bowen) said:
>>
>> > Except I didn't do that.  I pointed to some facts and didn't make
>> > claims
>> > as fact.  CFC's are man made and the CO2 level is verifiably higher
>> > than
>> > it has been in 600k years.
>>
>> You claim the CO2 level is higher now that it was 600 years ago based on
>> experiments on artic ice. You claim that CO2 levels are higher in North
>> America when the facts prove they are in deficit!
>
>You don't understand what is being discussed.  North America as a
>continent produces less CO2
>than the plant life on it consumes.  The rest of the world produces way
>more than is consumed.
>It is called the addtive property of numbers and perhaps and elementary
>algebra class will help
>you understand.
>
>here you go Bobby 1st grader
>place                output-co2    used-co2
>North america     5                6
>Elsewhere            100            50
>total                    105            56
>
>See how math works North America outputs 5 but uses 6
>The rest of the world outpus 100 but use 50.
>
>These aren't real numbers just done for illustration
>

>> You claim half of Canada is covered with an ice sheet. Another fiction.
>>

>Didn't say that, said in the past in one decade the ice sheet advanced
>over it.

You've said this a lot of times now, and my bullshit meter is going wild.

Care to show a reference for this? Frankly, I suspect that you're
talking through your hat and that the rest of your "science" is no
better.

According to the Encylopedia Brittanica that fast current glaciers
advance at as much as 25 metres a day. That's 9.125 kilometres a year.
To advance over half of Canada (say conservatively, 1800 kilometres)
glaciers would have to advance at roughly 200 times that fast or 5
kilometres a day. I just find that a little hard to believe.

Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
"If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall to that
wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you sit in the
bottom of that cupboard."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Id Software developer prefers OS X to Linux, NT
Date: 18 Sep 2000 19:57:35 +1100

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:44:12 -0500, James Stutts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"C Lund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
><snip>
>

>> Sounds like the difference between W2K and W98 are all "beneath the hood".
>> WHich means the Win GUI still sucks the bowel movements of a flyblown
>> carcass.
>
>That must explain why so many window managers attempt to replicate it.

Suppose it must be the familiarity thing (fvwm95 for example.)

--
J.C.
"The free flow of information along data highways being piped into our

                             -- 'The Thunder of Justice', pg. 264