Linux-Advocacy Digest #298, Volume #29           Mon, 25 Sep 00 09:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Richard)
  Re: The Linux Experience (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: Insight (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: New Linux Install (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the  (Chris
Sherlock)
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) ("Boyle M.
Owl")
  Re: The Linux Experience (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: The Linux Experience (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: Never tell me again that Windows is easy to install!!!  It's a lie! (Chris
Sherlock)
  Re: What is with all the mudslinging? (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Never tell me again that Windows is easy to install!!!  It's a lie! (Chris
Sherlock)
  Re: Never tell me again that Windows is easy to install!!!  It's a lie! (Chris
Sherlock)
  Re: Never tell me again that Windows is easy to install!!!  It's a lie! ("Stuart
Fox")
  Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451800 ("Joe Malloy")
  Re: Never tell me again that Windows is easy to install!!!  It's a lie! (Chris
Sherlock)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) (STATIC66)

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:12:08 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >The same rule applies in physics where "old" is defined as 30.
>
> Bear in mind, you're referencing *theoretical* physics.  You'll find
> that all of the respected _experimental_ physicists rely as much on
> experience as on academic credentials or ingenuity.

I go with what I know.

> But you've also made the point that good art does not come from good
> engineering.  Software is, both in practice and theory, in
> implementation and even in design, mostly engineering, I think.  Unless
> you're only considering innovation when discussing design, which is
> naive in its own right.

What I'd consider engineering in software would be Formal Methods,
and I don't plan to use them. Software development is actually a
form of architecture more than engineering because when done right
it relies on beauty and elegance.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:28:59 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux Experience

IMHO, both Redhat's and Microsoft's web site are just as bad as one
another. Have you ever tried doing a search on the MS web site?

Things are everywhere.

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:29:09 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Insight

Oops, spelling mistake in URL given methinks. I think that this site is
*hillarious* and I don't want anyone to miss out!!!

Try http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/

Sorry for correcting a typing error, Glitch. I'm not doing it to show
you up!

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:29:13 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively

Stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't there some sort of thing called freedom
of speech in your country? Just about all the Americans I know (and I
guess that I don't know that many) are extremely proud of it and will
defend this principle to the death, if necessary.

How does this fit in with the Universities policy?

I doubt that they will care - perhaps they will wonder who has the time
to collect all this info and post it to them. I know that I would!

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:29:17 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: New Linux Install

>From what I understand, the new LBA32 extensions in LILO will circumvent
this problem. I don't know much more about this as I haven't had to
worry about hitting the 1024 cylinder ceiling yet.

Would someone care to comment?

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:29:24 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the

This has never ever happened to me. And I have been using Linux for
about 2 years now doing such things as IP NAT, DHCP, running X-Windows
and numerous apps.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Boyle M. Owl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 07:33:27 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Boyle M. Owl" wrote:
>> People are free to run whatever software they wish to run.  If
>> *you* don't like "non-professionals" writing code, then jusd don't
>> run any
>
> Hey, buddy, I also don't like professionals writing bad code. I have
> just as much agaist most implementations of Unix as I have agaist
> Linux.

Who am I?

I'm Joe Hobbyist.

I've been getting my feet wet with programming again after a 10 year
lapse because I had been stuck in the world of Bill Gates.  (running
Linux has made it all fun again).

For you to spout off and say that I or anyone else who's a hobbyist
programmer, that we shouldn't release code, strikes me as you being
a fascist moron.

So who am I defending here?  Certainly myself, against the likes
of pretentious "elite" bastards, such as yourself.

Like I said....

FOAD.

--
"One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

Freedom is Slavery! Ignorance is Strength! Monopolies offer Choice!
- Tom Tomorrow

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:35:19 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

There is plenty of good information out there about Linux products.

Take a look at http://www.linuxdoc.org for PLENTY of good documentation
on Linux! Also have a look at the Linux Gazette - I guess that this is
the equivalent of MS's Technet, only better. The URL for this site is
http://www.linuxgazette.com

Cheers,
Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:39:56 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jedi,

I think that as he didn't suggest installing the tarball and was asked
for some help by a more knowledgeable friend this isn't really pedantry.

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:04:04 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Never tell me again that Windows is easy to install!!!  It's a lie!

Although I can sympathise with your experience with Windows ME not
seeing or allowing you to use your 3rd IDE channel (seems daft to me)
Your last comment that Erik shouldn't post to c.o.l.a. seem a bit rough.
You're the person who posted into comp.ms.windows.advocacy and
comp.ms.windows-nt.advocacy! Why the heck *shouldn't* he respond?

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: What is with all the mudslinging?
Date: 25 Sep 2000 12:09:12 GMT

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 06:07:08 GMT, sfcybear wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

>which is why you are here, Right?

No, it isn't. Because unlike the idiots and trolls, I post helpful
( both documentation and code ). Unlike the idiots and trolls, I have
a presence in the community outside of this forum.

The idiots and trolls on the other hand  just demonstrate the "strength of
their convictions" by acting like obnoxious zealots. I don't suppose you know
anyone like this.

Hope this helps,
--
Donovan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:08:56 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

What about those drivers that *inist* on using certain areas of memory?
What can be done about them under Windows ME?

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:12:57 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Where I feel that problems lie in Windows is where drivers are written
specifically for a certain O/S to corner the market. Look at WinPrinters
and WinModems. This is where I feel that Windows goes wrong a lot of the
time.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:17:02 +0100

"Chris Sherlock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> What about those drivers that *inist* on using certain areas of memory?
> What can be done about them under Windows ME?

Contact the OEM...

------------------------------

From: "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451800
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:17:27 GMT

Tholes doesn't know how to thole:

> >> Why name it after me, given that I haven't engaged in any such
argments?

> > What "argments"?
>
> The ones he was referring to, Eric.

Sorry, Tholen, but that won't do.  Was the other poster referring to
"argments" or "argUments" [emphasis added]?  You're forever harping on other
people when they make a typo, so no surprise it's being done to you.  Why,
the University of Hawaii should be ashamed of having a "professor" who can't
even spell "arguments"!
--

"USB, idiot, stands for Universal Serial Bus. There is no power on the
output socket of any USB port I have ever seen" - Bob Germer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:15:57 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Why would rank newbies want to *use* extfs or xiafs?

Chris

------------------------------

From: STATIC66 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:20:18 GMT

On 25 Sep 2000 05:18:40 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Sep 2000 19:26:47 GMT, STATIC66 wrote:
>>On Fri, 25 Aug 2000 23:53:47 GMT, Ted Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>So it really doesn't supprise me that Al would learn from his buddy
>>how to win over voters with empty promises...
>
>But he's still going to win, because very few Americans will benefit
>from Bush's vision which seems to revolve around tax cuts for the
>aristocracy. The problem is that the vast majority of Americans have
>little to gain from Bush's policies. Not to mention that with Clinton's
>approval rating and the economy in their current state, Bush needs to
>come up with a more inspiring vision than handouts to the aristocracy.

Al Gore will not win.

They stand to benefit more from Bush.

Maybe not immediately but they will.  let me tell you how.

1. he wants to deregulate oil exploration in alaska. Eventually this
could lead to reduced fuel costs.

Don't give me no namby pansy crap about impacting the invironment.
That is a load of crap. There is drilling in preserved areas of
america right now, setting the standard and proving that it is
possible to CLEANLY and RESPONSIBLY collect OUR own supply of crude
oil without harming "nature" (as if our needs aren't part of "nature")

On kind of a side note.. aren't any of you concerned about the land
grab our government has been up to the last decade??? "They want to
preserve the land" ?? How about preserving an economic future for this
country ??

2. The next president will appoint at least 3 new supreme court
justices. We don't need anti-constituitional leftists appointed there
controlling the courts.....

3. Social security (welfare) - although I don't like him trying to
save it...I will compromise and say that giving me the choice to put
it into a real investment fund is acceptable if there is no stopping
its theft from me. I would much rather it was somewhere they cannot
raid it every time they want cash for one of their social programs.

4. TIPPER - i really don't think we want to be censored..

I can come up with more if ya like...