Linux-Advocacy Digest #321, Volume #29           Tue, 26 Sep 00 20:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: News client ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) (Donovan
Rebbechi)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:41:46 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:59:15 -0400, JS/PL wrote:
> >
> >"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> >> You are being evasive. Why don't you just be honest and admit that the
> >> people who have the most to gain from Bush's policies are the top 1% of
> >> income earners ?
> >
> >Because it isn't true. The people who have the most to gain are the low
> >income families who would pay NO tax because of Bush's plan.
>
> A coke a week, according to your own numbers.
>
> >You don't know?  But your assuming it must be being funded by taking
> >something away from the poor ?
> >
> >He plans to fund the tax cuts by returning 25% of the budget surplus to the
> >taxpayers. Not by cutting any current programs.
>
> IOW spending a lot of money, with the lions share of the dollars going
> to the wealthy. OK I take that back, he's spending money on the wealthy
> that could be spent on other things.
>
> >That is only because your tax bill increases as your income increases. A
> >family of four making 75,000 who now only has to pay $10,000 in income taxes
> >isn't as good as someone making 35k now paying NO tax, I wouldn;'t classify
> >that as giving money to the rich. The percentage still decreases as income
> >increases.
>
> Yes, Bush's tax plan still uses an accelerated income tax. However, the
> people who benefit the most from tax cuts will be the high income earners.
>
> The fact that income taxes are accelerated means that tax cuts tend
> to benefit those at the top end ( unless they're "targeted" in which case
> they typically benefit the middle-upper bracket ). Someone who's earning
> 10k doesn't benefit greatly from tax cuts.
>
> >How much of a Federal tax cut past 100% do you want for poor and lower
> >middle class?
>
> Well that's kind of my point. That a vision that consists only of tax cuts
> is not something that will srike a chord among these groups.

Well FUCK THEM!

Really!!!

If you are an able-bodied adult, and aren't doing worth more than
$10,000/year,
then don't expect *me* to get all excited about whether you're making it
or not.

> --
> Donovan

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:42:36 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:38:06 GMT, Joe R. wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >(Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:

> >> A coke a week, according to your own numbers.
> >
> >Nonsense. The numbers he provided (from Bush's web site) said a family
> >earning $35 K per year would save $1,500.
> >
> >Do the math. That's almost $30 per week--which is a bit more than "a
> >coke a week".
>
> Doh ! I meant a coke a day.

You pay $6 for a coke?

Are we talking Coca-cola, or crack?

> --
> Donovan

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: News client
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 00:56:37 +0200

        Martin Svensson < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good news-client for Linux/X ?
> I'm currently using Netscape Mail & News client but maybe I've missed
> something that is even better?

I've used knews for several years under Solaris and Linux. It has
nothing to do with kde. It has threading, flexible kill features,
excellent search, etc. Go to http://www.matematik.su.se/~kjj/ for
more details. I have always compiled from source code with no
problems. There are rpm's but I don't think they are up to date.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:53:49 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 13:59:42 -0400, JS/PL wrote:
> >
> >"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >
> >> Bush is proposing a plan to spend more of the available funds on the
> >> aristocracy than everyone else. I still don't see how the poor would
> >> benefit from this. If he's spending budget surplus, I'd argue that
> >> there are ways that would be of greater benefit to low income earners.
> >
> >Wrong again.  The child credit he's proposing goes to EVERY family raising
> >children equally,
>
> The child credit does not exist in a vacuum. If someone gives both of
> us a dollar, and subsequently gives me a million dollars, it would be
> silly to argue that we "benefitted equally" on the grounds that we
> both concurrently received $1-
>
> > it does not discriminate on income. But the benefit to the
> >poor is huge.
>
> Could you quantify "huge" ?

100%

This has been stated over and over again.

Open your eyes, Rip van Winkle.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:54:29 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:02:36 GMT, Joe R. wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >(Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:

> >> Could you quantify "huge" ?
> >
> >He already has. You just refuse to read what he keeps writing.
>
> I read it just fine. Sorry, a coke a day is not "huge".

If you're stupid enough to pay $6 for a coke, you're a fucking idiot
and DESERVE to be poor.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:57:06 -0400

"Joe R." wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 16:42:53 GMT, Joe R. wrote:

> > >That's already been shown. A family of 4 earning $35 K gets a 100%
> > >reduction in their federal taxes. A family of 4 earning $50 K gets a 50%
> > >reduction.
> > >
> > >Seems like a pretty substantial benefit.
> >
> > Games with numbers again. We already discussed this. The dollar amount
> > going to the rich is higher than the dollar amount going to the poor.
> >
> > IOW, more of the extra money that is supposedly available is going to
> > the rich than the poor.
>
> And you've failed to explain why a person paying $1,000 in taxes per
> year should get a bigger reduction than a person paying $200,000 in
> taxes per year.

> > >What spending cuts? The Bush plan has a _higher_ expenditure than the
> > >current budget.
> >
> > Yes, of course, the other alternative to spending cuts is simply reduce
> > taxes but spend the same. But ultimately, you're still dealing with a
>
> Does the word "surplus" mean anything to you?
>
> > limited pool of resources, and Bush's policy directs the lions share of
> > available resources to those least in need.
>
> You keep saying that, but refuse to support it. Your ramblings don't
> count--particularly since you've been so wrong on your other factual
> statements.
>

> > >Of course, perhaps you're one of those who considers a budget which
> > >increases by only 5% insted of 10% to have been cut.
> >
> > Not at all. I like a balanced budget. But when money is available, I
> > think that spending it on millionaires so that they can buy new BMWs
> > is not exactly a priority.
>
> So what do you do? Give people back more than they paid in taxes? That's
> what you're advocating since the Bush plan completely eliminates taxes
> for lower middle class and below and that's not enough for you.

> > >Of course, that's not what Bush is proposing, so it's irrelevant.
> >
> > Bush is proposing a plan to spend more of the available funds on the
> > aristocracy than everyone else. I still don't see how the poor would
> > benefit from this. If he's spending budget surplus, I'd argue that
> > there are ways that would be of greater benefit to low income earners.
>
> You don't see how the poor would benefit because you refuse to look at
> the facts.
>
> Anyone making less than $35 K per year would pay ZERO in federal income
> taxes under the Bush plan--that's a 100% reduction. Those earning $50 K
> would see their taxes reduced by 50%. How do you reconcile that with "no
> benefit"????
>
> Now, it's plausible that you're advocating a direct Robin Hood approach
> where money is taken from the wealthy and given directly to the poor. If
> so, please say so. But don't try to lie about other people's position.
> Saying that Bush's plan doesn't do anything for anyone except the rich
> is a blatant lie.

Now you're falling to a Democrat lie.

Robin Hood did *NOT* "rob from the Rich and give to the poor"...that's
a DEMOCRAT MYTH

The TRUE summarization of Robin Hood is this:

He stole from the TAX COLLECTOR and returned it to the people.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:02:39 -0400

STATIC66 wrote:

> On 26 Aug 2000 22:54:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:06:40 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >
> >>Actually, public education usually has the *highest* per-pupil spending
> >>[for "average" kids] while still having lousy results.
> >>
> >>Why is that?
> >
> >What do you mean by "lousy results" ? The kids in public schools probably
> >aren't as good on average, so using things like SAT scores as a measure
> >is not terribly meaningful.
>
> I would argue that using the test scores might actually work more to
> your favor than his point.
>
> Where I live They have instituted a computer based learning program,
> which has for their statistical averages raised grade level
> reading/math from almost a year below grade level to a 2 3/4 above
> grade level reading/math in two years.
>
> 1. I support (the districts) computers and see it first hand.
>
> 2. my children attend the district.
>
> Basically They have trained the students to test better in these
> particular areas. They have not realistically made the kids much
> smarter (I think the exception would be computer skills).
>
> Yet they tout the numbers at every available opportunity.
>
> So I wouldn't buy into testing numbers I think they are generally
> inflated.
>
> I can't count the number if IT "professionals" that practiced testing
> and question memorization long enough to pass a certification exam and
> then get to th real world problems and know NOTHING.

Faulty test.  The REAL question should *never* be revealed...and
should be changed (or at least rotated) on a frequent basis, to
prevent this exact form of cheating.

> The truth is that the public schools are being used for entirely too
> much social experimentation,and environmental leftist propaganda. I
> see it every day first hand. My wife and I are discussing sending the
> kids to a private school it is so bad.

Do it immediately.  You will have no regrets...

Unless your vision for your kids is to be an uneducated cog in the
machine being formulated by the elites.

> My son is actually taught NOT to stand up for himself when bullied.(at
> the school) When he was telling us about an incident at school and I
> told him to stand up to the bully, he broke down and cried because he
> said he would "get into big trouble at school"..
>
> And before you ask if it is so bad why do I work there??
>
> 1. It allows me to provide for my family.
>
> 2. It is a challenging environment to work in.
>
> 3. I enjoy the opportunity to interact with the children

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:06:50 -0400

STATIC66 wrote:

> On 26 Aug 2000 22:54:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:06:40 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >
> >>Actually, public education usually has the *highest* per-pupil spending
> >>[for "average" kids] while still having lousy results.
> >>
> >>Why is that?
> >
> >What do you mean by "lousy results" ? The kids in public schools probably
> >aren't as good on average, so using things like SAT scores as a measure
> >is not terribly meaningful.
>
> I would argue that using the test scores might actually work more to
> your favor than his point.
>
> Where I live They have instituted a computer based learning program,
> which has for their statistical averages raised grade level
> reading/math from almost a year below grade level to a 2 3/4 above
> grade level reading/math in two years.
>
> 1. I support (the districts) computers and see it first hand.
>
> 2. my children attend the district.
>
> Basically They have trained the students to test better in these
> particular areas. They have not realistically made the kids much
> smarter (I think the exception would be computer skills).
>
> Yet they tout the numbers at every available opportunity.
>
> So I wouldn't buy into testing numbers I think they are generally
> inflated.
>
> I can't count the number if IT "professionals" that practiced testing
> and question memorization long enough to pass a certification exam and
> then get to th real world problems and know NOTHING.
>
> The truth is that the public schools are being used for entirely too
> much social experimentation,and environmental leftist propaganda. I
> see it every day first hand. My wife and I are discussing sending the
> kids to a private school it is so bad.
>
> My son is actually taught NOT to stand up for himself when bullied.(at
> the school) When he was telling us about an incident at school and I
> told him to stand up to the bully, he broke down and cried because he
> said he would "get into big trouble at school"..

This is psychological abuse by the school.

If they create an environment where, no matter what one does, you are
made to suffer, called a "double bind", then the result is psychosis.

There is a passage in the book 'How to be a Jewish Mother'...

Give your son a red tie and a green tie.  The next time you see him,
if he's wearing the red tie, say, "What, you don't like the greene one?"

Alternatively, if he is wearing the green tie, be sure to note that
he isn't wearing the red one.

The only way out of this is for the son to act insane by wearing
both ties at the same time.

Seriously....letting a kid attend public schools these days is
akin to child abuse.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 26 Sep 2000 23:26:05 GMT

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:53:49 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

>> Could you quantify "huge" ?
>
>100%

100% is a relative quantity. It's difficult to say whether or not it's
"huge" unless you know what the other half of the ratio is. For example,
"100% of your tax" is not very much if your tax is low.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 26 Sep 2000 23:21:57 GMT

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:54:29 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>>
>> I read it just fine. Sorry, a coke a day is not "huge".
>
>If you're stupid enough to pay $6 for a coke, you're a fucking idiot
>and DESERVE to be poor.

THat was actually funny. However, it works out at about $1 per coke
( 4 family members * $1/coke * 1coke/day * 365 days/yr = $1460 )

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:14:55 -0400

dc wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:35:28 GMT, STATIC66
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>Yet for some reason, we consistently rank *first* in doing things like
> >>creating new technologies, worker productivity, and gross national
> >>product, versus those other countries that have high test scores but
> >>can't get it together otherwise.
> >
> >Do you work in a technical field?? The majority of the "top echelon"
> >engineers are immigrants.
>
> Which is *another* reason why we need NAFTA-like laws passed - and
> they should go far further than that, too.  As in far, far, FAR
> further.  The free and open trade of people, too, is as important as
> the trade of ideas, goods, and technology.  On the other end of the
> economy, did anyone ever stop to think how cheap a house could be if
> immigrant labor were legallized?  Or how cheap food could be?  And
> what impact do you think that (cheap food, cheap housing) that would
> have to a very low-income family that currently spends the majority of
> their income on exactly those two items?

Absolutely.  "Protectionist" immigration laws are for loser who
know they can't compete against foreigners with a better work-ethic.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.