Linux-Advocacy Digest #323, Volume #29           Tue, 26 Sep 00 23:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) (Donovan
Rebbechi)
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) ("Joseph T.
Adams")
  Re: News client (R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ))
  Re: End-User Alternative to Windows (Harold Bower)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) (David M.
Butler)
  immature Linuxers (Richard)
  Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time? (Osugi)
  Re: SmartShip needs multiple platforms (Was: Am I the only one that   finds this
just a little scary? (Bob Hauck)
  Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How low can they go...? ("James Stutts")
  Re: The Government's Decision to Use Microsoft (lyttlec)
  Re: How low can they go...? ("James Stutts")
  Re: Windows+Linux=True ("Ingemar Lundin")
  Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively ("ostracus")
  Re: Why I hate Windows... ("James Stutts")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Joe R.")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Joe R.")
  Re: How low can they go...? (Zenin)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: 27 Sep 2000 00:17:40 GMT

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:18:35 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

>You see...YOUR method means STEALING MY RESOURCES so that they will
>be used for the benefit of the progeny of some lowlife scum sucking
>welfare whore and her equally contemptable alcoholic "boyfriends"

You keep repeating these lies, possibly in some misguided hope that
they'll become true if you keep saying them.

Welfare is not much of a carreer. You can't stay on welfare for ever.
Welfare is ( and should be ) temporary. It's not a crutch for bums

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: 27 Sep 2000 00:28:10 GMT

Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

:>         Most of what consitutes Unix software these days doesn't
:>         really depend on Unix-isms. This is certainly true of the
:>         sort of software you would seem to be interested in.

: Unless, of course, one considers C/C++ to be a Unix-ism.

What is C/C++????

Joe

------------------------------

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: News client
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 00:20:04 GMT

> Hi!
>
> Can anyone recommend a good news-client for Linux/X ?
> I'm currently using Netscape Mail & News client but maybe I've missed
> something that is even better?

There are actually about 9 clients.  If you want to stick with GUI,
you can use knews (KDE) gnews (GNOME) xnews (athena), Xemacs news and
probably a few more that I'm just ignoring.

With CHUI, you can use pine, trn, rn, and emacs.

There is also the cpan interface to the news reader, which then
lets you run news similar to dejanews on your local host.

If you don't like the hassle of downloading lots of noise with your
signal, you can try Dejanews or remarQ or one of the other CPAN based
usenet news services.

I like dejanews, and then I use the KDE explorer as the web browser.
Since Deja doesn't use proprietary scripts, the KDE browser is fast,
easy, and works really well.

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but those are the ones off the top of my
head.

--
Rex Ballard - I/T Architect, MIS Director
Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:39:16 -0400
From: Harold Bower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows

Grant Edwards wrote:

> [...]
>
> >Don't forget CPM.
>
> I don't remember having sources to CP/M.  The versions I used
> (1.4 and 2.2, IIRC), came with CBIOS sources, but not sources for
> CP/M itself.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Intra-mural sports
>                                   at               results are filtering
>                                visi.com            through th' plumbing...

There were several clones released over the years in source code.  ZSDOS
is a CP/M 2.2 superset (added OS Path, File Timestamping, larger disk
support, reentrancy and more) and was explicitly released under the GPL
along with installation and configuration tools.  It is available at
http://www.psyber.com/~tcj

Hal

------------------------------

From: David M. Butler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:51:07 -0400

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> Welfare is not much of a carreer. You can't stay on welfare for ever.

Unless you're a large corporation who gets a multi-million dollar welfare
check to build a park for your employees.  That's where the welfare funds
are really going.  (Seriously)

D. Butler

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: immature Linuxers
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 01:20:46 GMT

==============DD6CA4670E074BF6AA8C1DCB

You're so incredibly immature Donovan.

>From what you say, it's obvious you fear disappointment. You
treat someone raising your expectations and then dashing them
as if it were the worst possible fate someone could inflct on
you. You treat even the *possibility* of disappointment as
sufficient reason to seek to destroy someone. Do you seriously
believe that people have some duty to not disappoint you? That
you even have a *right* to be disappointed (a necessary pre-
condition for fearing disappointment) if they don't meet your
expectations?

You don't have any right to expect anyone to do anything. You're
a consumer and that's just the biological term for vultures. Does
the vulture have a right to expect the gazelle to lay down and
die so he may feed? No.

People have the moral duty to share any useful software they
have in their possession. Developers have the moral and ethical
duty to *properly* develop software as soon as they commit to
doing so. But *no one* has any duty to commit themselves to
developing software. It's the exact same thing as people having
the duty to raise children properly and not any kind of duty
to have children in the first place.

You can't legitimately expect anything of me and you have no
right to ever be disappointed by what I do or fail to do, let
alone fear such disappointment and act preventively on that fear.

You're not disappointed in my project because you have any
right to be. You're whining because you're spoiled and immature.

Grow up.

(Note, I had to edit out calling you a child because I
believe it would be a disservice to children)

From: Osugi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 01:27:06 GMT

In article <RP7A5.2079$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Yannick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I remember that time period when I saw more crashes of a linux
machine than
> a Win98 one. Of course, the Win98 was mostly used for gaming and
websurfing,
> and the linux machine was a DNS+Web+Mail server.  :-) On the other
hand, I
> don't think the NT machine did hang during that time. (But still, I
consider
> Win98 to be reliable enough for personal use when you have no hardware
> conflicts).
>
> The problem rather was the time to get the linux server running
again...
> first try to telnet to it to kill the faulty process(es), fail to do
so
> because of the machine had become so slow it would have required an
hour to
> enter the commands, crash rebooting, checking the partitions on the
three
> xxGB hard drives with hardware RAID... about 20-30 minutes downtime.
On
> NT/2000 or 98 I would have crash-rebooted at once. (Or perhaps tried
> telnet first).  That's because I have found 98, and especially NT, to
be
> quite resistant to crash reboots (though I have not tried on a
server, yet).
> And don't answer "so, it never hangs but you had to crash reboot". The
> hangups (or instant crashreboots) I speak of were all due to bugs
and/or
> limitations of video drivers, which necessarily have privileged
access to
> the hardware ; those bugs occuring on some precise occurences not
found on
> normal use of the system.
>
>  Yannick.

I would love to hear more details about your linux setup, since I find
it hard to believe that linux crashed more than windows. When exactly
was "that time" and how long a time period are you talking about? One
day? One year? What was causing the crashes?

Not that windows cannot go for long periods without crashing - it can,
especially if you turn it off regularly. Just that Linux shouldn't
crash with the frequency you claim (ie more than windows).

I've has a lot more and a lot worse problems with Windows 9x than with
linux in day to day use. Even with (in linux) all the default servers
up and running. In windows, games especially, cause problems, but like
I said before, win9x has crashed occasionally on boot or just trying to
load a program from MS.

--
Osugi Sakae

I will not be filed, numbered, briefed or debriefed.
I am not a number, I am a free man. -The Prisoner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: SmartShip needs multiple platforms (Was: Am I the only one that   finds
this just a little scary?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 01:43:55 GMT

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 05:00:27 GMT, Mike Byrns
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Steve Mading wrote:

>You're talking about pipes then and Windows has them in spades. >,<
>and | work just fine, thank you.  Even in the GUI!

Well, they would be a lot more useful if some of the apps would
cooperate.  A recent example that caused me some grief was NT's "lpr",
which is the only one in the known universe that doesn't seem to be
able to read input from stdin.  I guess POSIX didn't specify that so
they figured it wasn't important.  This makes it more trouble than it
should be to print from XEmacs (to give an example of why I care).

>> ... I can treat the
>> floppy like a low-level string of bytes and just copy everything
>> verbatim, without the OS needing to interpet what it all means.

>Yeah, Windows does this too.  It's VMS-based remember.

I'd be interested in knowing how you to do that.  I'd like to be able
to copy disk images from the floppy to a file on C:.  I can do this
with special tools, but if the tools that come with the OS can do it
then that would save me some trouble.

>Ahem.  Command.com is the DOS interpreter.  CMD.EXE is the native
>Win32 command line shell.  There's a really, really big difference but
>they work together seamlessly. CMD is evel POSIX compliant.

CMD still doesn't seem to let me read input in batch files without
standing on my head.  It also seems to still be brain-dead in a lot of
the same ways as command.com  Recent hassle, related to fixing my
problem with lpr not knowing how to read from a pipe was, how can I
create a temporary file with a unique name?  Something like mktemp on
Linux.  Maybe if I could just obtain a process ID then I could make
one cleanly instead of kluding around.

CMD.EXE does have filename completion if you tweak the right registry
entry, which helps, but it is kinda broken.  Instead of displaying a
list of matching files, it just completes the first one it finds.
Maybe that's why it isn't on by default.

>Given that Windows console apps are written with the same STDIN and
>STDOUT interfaces as UNIX apps it's all up to a choice in command
>interpreter.  There are alternate interpreters in Windows too.

Ah, yes, we're back to third-party fixups.  Or just be done with it and
install Cygwin.  Or Linux.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 01:49:07 GMT

In article <8qqv45$89n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Why does Win 98 freeze up all the time?
> It's me, they call me the Original Poster, and I'd like to qualify my
> question in that whereas I hear tales of the Blue Screen of Death, for
me
> death is ensured whenever I'm forced to give the three finger salute,
and
> up comes the box with choices of what to kill, which might be fun to
play,
> but still one must give the final three finger salute again and reboot
> anyway.

The one that I routinely get is "Explorer not responding".  So if I kill
it off, then everything's dead as a doornail from that point on, and I
end up having to reboot using the A/C switch.  On Linux, if X dies, I
can CTL-ALT-F1, get a tty, and fix it without taking the box down.  But
the only time I've ever had X die was when I was upgrading to XFree86
4.01 and made a typo in the XF86Config file.  Everything else kept right
on running, Apache, MySQL, etc.

From: "James Stutts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:06:08 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:48:38 -0500, James Stutts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> ><snip>
> >

> >> Installed the way an OS should be installed: BURNED INTO ROM.
> >
> >Kind of removes choice from the OS equation, doesn't it?
>
> There are several OSes available for Atari's actually.

Changing ROMs is a non-trivial task for the average user.

JCS

------------------------------

From: lyttlec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Government's Decision to Use Microsoft
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 02:10:12 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "lyttlec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Also a result of infinity.
> > >
> > But doesn't IEEE 745 specify inf?
>
> That's really just the text representation of the value.  I am sure they all
> use the same internal representation.
>
> > The divide-by-zero is an IEEE standard for floating point math. I
> > thought this had been included by reference. It did predate the C++
> > standard by a long shot. But everyone except MS seems to follow it. The
> > result wasn't INF, it was 1.#INF. I did a search on the web and current
> > releases seem to do the same thing. NaN, inf, QNan, etc. are still
> > giving people problems. Didn't find much about namespace though. I am
> > stuck with the compiler. The project began with this environment, and it
> > has to end with this environment. Do you know what it costs to change
> > compilers on a big multi-year project? The moral is really to adopt from
> > the beginning a compiler that will be supported for the life of your
> > project.
>
> Of course.  However, I just had a problem with holding a pre-standard
> compiler to a ratified standard.
I won't complain too much about namespace. That was still under debate.
But floating point math had been standard for a long time. And that
doesn't work. To be sure it doesn't work under the Borland compiler
either. One reason we can't change is that MS made lots of changes to
the MS specific "Visual" stuff that breaks our programs. We could fix
everything, but the learning curve/recovery time is too great.

------------------------------

From: "James Stutts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:15:14 -0500

> Said James Stutts in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

<snip>

> >Speaking, I'm sure, for the majority of the US that doesn't live in
> >California, I couldn't care
> >less what the citizens of San Diego agree to.  I used to live in a town
with
> >only one cable
> >service (and a private electrical company).  I never really had an issue
> >with the electrical service,
> >but cable service was lousy.  The only option was satellite.  Instead of
> >whining about it
> >to the world, as you seem want to do, one either accepted the poor
service
> >or chose the
> >alternative.
>
> I have no idea what you're referring to.  You brought up cable
> companies.

I was drawing an analogy between the "choice" situation for broadcast
services and OS.
That's not hard to follow.

> >> one, as there is little value in pretending to support competitive
> >> markets in a necessary utility with huge capitalization costs.
> >>
> >>    [...]
> >>
> >> You apparently are grossly ignorant of reality.
> >
> >What reality?
>
> The one where Microsoft has been convicted of multiple felonies.

The Supreme Court will answer that.

> >Your chief complaint seems to be that you are "forced" to use
> >the laptop
> >provided by your employer as your home computer.
>
> I've never complained in particular about my laptop; this is a troll
> which others have raised in a vain attempt to defend a criminal
> monopoly.

What criminal monopoly?  Have you ever priced Windows (actual purchase
cost) to the competition?  Have you ever bought Solaris (before the recent
near giveway) or IRIX?  The haven't raised prices.  If anything, their
prices
have dropped.

> >You could actually BUY one, like most of the world.
> >Then the OS would be your choice.  Don't complain about something that's
free.

> It sure as hell wasn't 'free'.  I don't spend "the company's money"

Your employer paid for it.  You didn't.  To you, it was free.

> without reason.  I demanded they buy NT because I refused to use 98 and
> I could supposedly run the products of my trade on it, as well as

You have a trade, Max?  What is that?

> maintain compatibility with the non-interoperable Microsoft solutions
> which they'd implemented "because its free", or a monopoly, depending on
> your perspective.
>
> >It doesn't have to cost money to "avoid the monopoly".
>
> Avoiding the monopoly is a cost to me; money, time, and compatibility in
> an un-ending parade of reasons why monopolization is illegal.

Making life convenient for you isn't the basis of the law.

> >You just choose the
> >right platform
> >for the work you intend to do.
>
> I chose the monopoly product because it is a monopoly product, which is
> to say because I didn't have any commercially feasible alternatives

Commercially feasible for what?  What, besides posting drivel to newsgroups,
do you use a computer for?

> available due to the criminal behavior of the monopolist.

Due to your laziness, more likely.

> >> --
> >> T. Max Devlin
> >>   *** The best way to convince another is
> >>           to state your case moderately and
> >>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***
> >
> >"Sounds to me like you're a moron" doesn't state your case moderately or
> >accurately.
>
> That would depend on the circumstances and context, if one had any
> interest in moderation or accuracy.

Well, you certainly missed the circumstances and context here.  You've
convinced no one of anything.
If you choose the "monopoly product", then you (and those like you) continue
that monopoly.  I used
Solaris before NT.  I have choices.  So do you, if you'd bother to actually
look.  Of course, you'd
have to find something else to complain about.  You are one of those
"network engineer" types, aren't you.
Got to be.

JCS

------------------------------

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows+Linux=True
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 02:20:02 GMT

sorry Zeek, i dont bother myself with teenage chatting ;)

/IL

------------------------------

From: "ostracus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:17:06 -0500
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy

In article <39d1144c$2$obot$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Bob Germer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>

>> There are Mac databases.
>
> Which are toys compared to DB/2.
<snip>

Toys? Hmmm...
http://www.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/99-Nov/69prod.html#AP
---
There was once a young man who, in his youth, professed his desire
become a great writer.

When asked to define "great" he said, "I want to write stuff that
the whole world will read, stuff that people will react to on a
truly emotional level, stuff that will make them scream, cry, howl
in pain and anger!"

He now works for Microsoft, writing error messages.

------------------------------

From: "James Stutts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why I hate Windows...
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:20:52 -0500

"Osugi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8qp2gf$6qu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8qj4rv$ric$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "James Stutts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Actually, the better approach is to not use a home operating system
> (Win98)
> > in
> > a corporate environment.  NT was designed for this.  While not
> perfect, it
> > is
> > far more stable than Win98.
> >
> > JCS
> >

> Why should a "home" operating system be inherently unstable? Less

In this case, "home" is equivalent to "cheap".  Commercial operating systems
are expensive.

> powerful and less feature rich would be understandable (home users

In some ways, Win98 is more feature rich.  Provided your primary interest
involves games.

> don't usually need 2 gig of ram or support for 16 processors), but
> stability should be a given. Unfortunately MS seems to have convinced
> many people that stability is a feature that you have to pay extra for.
>
> BTW, isn't the typical home computer expected to work harder than a
> business workstation? Games, scanners, digital cameras, printers, all

A "business workstation" isn't primarily used for desktop apps.  That would
be
a "PC".  My Win2k "business workstation" has been used for everything from
Monte Carlo simulations to CAD.  Game graphics, while pretty, don't involve
geometries
with all that much complexity.  The components available for the workstation
line of a
company like Dell are far more capable and expensive then their home line.
Unless you
really want to try to use an Oxygen GVX1 card for a game.  Kind of a waste
for a $1k
graphics card...

> hooked up to / running on one computer. Some business workstations
> might use one of those, but prolly not all of them. A business
> workstation just needs to be able to run Wordperfect Office / MS Office
> and maybe some other generic software.

Nope.  You're thinking of something else.

JCS

------------------------------

From: "Joe R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 02:23:01 GMT

(Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:18:35 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >
> >You see...YOUR method means STEALING MY RESOURCES so that they will
> >be used for the benefit of the progeny of some lowlife scum sucking
> >welfare whore and her equally contemptable alcoholic "boyfriends"
>
> You keep repeating these lies, possibly in some misguided hope that
> they'll become true if you keep saying them.
>
> Welfare is not much of a carreer. You can't stay on welfare for ever.
> Welfare is ( and should be ) temporary. It's not a crutch for bums

Until very recently, it _was_ a career. There were plenty of 3rd and 4th
generation welfare families.

The situation has gotten somewhat better recently.

--
Regards,

Joe R.

------------------------------

From: "Joe R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 02:24:40 GMT

(Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:50:23 GMT, Joe R. wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >(Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:
>
> I think we're discussing two different things. I'm saying Bush's overall
> policy package doesn't offer ordinary Americans that much.

And you're still wrong.

$1,500 (not to mention increased spending on education and improved
health care) is significant for most people.

> Or to put it another way, modest tax cuts by themselves are not a huge
> incentive for low/middle income earners.

Perhaps not. But a 100% tax cut is. Do you know any $35 K income
families who can't use $1,500?

> I wasn't complaining about his income tax scale.

Sure you were. Read the thread.

> Oh, and my name is not "you left wing radicals".

Of course not. You're only one of them.

--
Regards,

Joe R.

------------------------------

From: Zenin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 02:26:37 -0000

: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> James Stutts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> >> Installed the way an OS should be installed: BURNED INTO ROM.
:> >
:> >Kind of removes choice from the OS equation, doesn't it?
:>
:> There are several OSes available for Atari's actually.
:
: Changing ROMs is a non-trivial task for the average user.

        So is installing an OS onto a hard disk.

--
-Zenin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                   From The Blue Camel we learn:
BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC