  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux         (Rotten168)

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:38:13 +1200

>>>What is unemployment in New Zealand?
>>>

> I've always had an interest in economics... to be interested in
> something so "squarish" kinda' makes me ashamed. Didn't Bill Gates major
> in economics?

No, apparently, Bill Gates was studying a degree in mathematics.
Personally, I have no respect for a person who got where he was because
his mummy and daddy paid the bills for him.  Maybe instead of Bill Gates
being a spoilt bratt at University, he went out, and did a day of hard
yakker (hard work), and actually worked up a sweat, I and many other
people might actually have some respect for him.

>>Around 5-6%, which is realatively good for a country whose back bone is
>>agriculture. However, unemployment is not an accurate representation of
>>economic growth. Japan for example has an unemployment figure of around
>>1-2%, however, to be classified as unemployed, you must be working less
>>that 3 hours a week!  Also, most of the economic growth in the US is
>>fueled by internal demand, unlike the NZ economy which relys heavily on
>>trade since NZ doesnot have the land mass or population to be a self
>>sustaining economy.
>>

> Yes, you are correct that employment figures are not an accurate
> representation of economic health. But neither is the stock market.
>
> BTW are you sure that unemployment is that low in Japan? For some reason
> I thought it actually got higher than the current US rates (4.5% I
> think).

I haven't checked what the latest figures are. Just have to also say,
Japan's companies have over employment due to a combination of cultural
expectations and over regulation.

>>However, being a self sustaining economy does have its draw backs. After
>>10 years of growth fueled by internal demand, now these companies must
>>export and develop overseas, however, since the US$ is so high, the
>>result is, very few people can afford US made goods, resulting in a
>>build up of inventory, thus the result is the slump the US. Solution:
>>Devalue the dollar, which fuels exports, company profits increase, more
>>people are hired, more money back into the economy etc etc.
>>
>>Matthew Gardiner
>>

> Actually the US economy is far from self-sufficient. AFAIK we have
> tremendous trade deficits from almost all other regions of the world.
> Also, the US economy is still pumping along at an incredible speed,
> consumer confidence AND retail spending were both up the last few months
> or so. Clinton was right when he said that the US was not in a
> recession. Now, what happens next is anybody's guess, we are in
> uncharted waters in economic terms.

Yes, however, credit can only go so far, until one day, the issue will
have to be addressed.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:40:16 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:39:27 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>Because there was no point?
> >
> >Jealousy is an ugly thing...
> >

> No, I think he's right; I'm not sure there was any economic point
> to continuing our manned moon program.  It might have been good
> for national pride, however -- and who knows what tech might
> now be available had we done so.  However, most of that tech apparently
> could be developed right here on Earth (for example, closed-air
> circulation systems would be just as useful on submarines),
> and the only advantage of space appears to be growing purer
> forms of various substances, such as medicinal drugs and
> perhaps iron crystals, which don't require moon travel, merely
> space (specifically, low-Earth-orbit) travel.

The mission to the moon made no sense economically really. There are, I
believe, huge amounts of iron and silicon on the moon, but I'm not too
sure those are in short supply here. The entire core of the earth is
iron after all.

The mission to the Moon was done for the sake of science... and I think
that is very important. It's man's natural inclination to go where he
once thought he couldn't have...

Personally I think that space exploration is 10x more exciting and
important than talking about something as stupid as operating systems.
What really pissed me off about the "digital revolution" is how people
actually thought that dialing into the internet was really more
important/exciting than visiting the moon... or breaking the sound
barrier. Contemporary people have been taught to think small.

> On the other hand, the moon is a convenient launch point, once there,
> because of its low gravity.  If we can get a self-sustaining colony
> thereon, we might have the ability to get to the stars -- but it
> would have to be self-sustaining, first.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if it could be a manned colony. There's not really
anything on the moon of value anyway... except for space.

Mars thought, is a totally different story... it's actually kind of hard
to believe that no life existed there ever.

> But there's always curiousity; we want to get to Mars someday and
> see if there was once life and liquid water there; some of the
> moons look interesting as well (Europa might have liquid water
> under all that ice; Titan might have liquid methane; Phobos and
> Deimos would be interesting environments to tunnel into).

There's a theory that the cores of all of the gas giants may be pure
diamond... now there's an economic incentive! I think it was proposed by
Arthur C. Clarke actually.

> There might be a problem with Usenet connections thereto, though. :-)

rec.space.exploration?

--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:40:04 +1200

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:
>
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>>AIDS cases.
>>
>>>1%?  What fucking planet are you living on you?
>>>--
>>>http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club
>>>
>>I never said the 1% bullshit.  Just correct the figure, most cases, in
>>Eastern Europe, African and Asia are either hetro sex or drugs. Also, I was
>>assuming thats what AK was trying to say in his frantic hetro-fit.
>>

> translation: I, Matthew Gardiner, am a homosexual...who is
>       trying to silence ANY AND ALL commentary against homosexual behavior.

Should I be offended?

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:44:34 GMT

Quantum Leaper wrote:

> The all mighty dollar stopped more trips to the moon,  it was planned to
> have 12 trips,  but it very expensive to send men to the moon.   The USA
> beat the USSR and that was the main point,  anyway.   The Japanese are send
> a probe to the moon next year,  I believe.

Personally I'm finding that the ISS is very interesting... it's also an
international effort which I find better than just a solo-US effort. If
Earth is ever to colonize space it will have to be an international
effort anyway so we might as well get used to working together. Besides
the heads of several countries is much better than just the heads of the
United States, everybody from different countries working on a common
goal. Think of it as Linux in space. =^)

There were some really awesome photos of the ISS posted on slashdot the
other day... makes me want to get out my old telescope.

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:44:49 +1200

mike@- wrote:

> In article <9fvhp8$ibd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Matthew says...
>

>>The only people who do
>>invest into tech stocks are idiots who hope to make a quick buck.
>>

> hehe. I bought Borland (BORL) early this year, and so far I made $240,000,
> and hoping to make another $240,000 by the end of this year on this one
> tech stock alone.
>
> yup, I sure I fee like an idiot.

I prefer Long term, stable returns.  btw, what sort of dividend did you
receive off your investment?

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:49:49 GMT

Thaddius Maximus wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:

> > > Spelling flames are the lowest form of flame.

> > > Is that something to be proud of? I don't see how either way.

> > > Through their parents paying for education? How does that teach
> > > independence?

> > > maximum of 40% is not a majority.

> > > Well, I'm glad you don't live here, because I do not want to see the NHS
> > > disappearing any time. I think it is a quite amazing service and
> > > something we should be proud of.

> > > Do you have any evidence to back this up, or are you just spouting?

> > > Without mother Russia, the Nazia would have gobbled up the "land of the
> > > free" long ago.
> > >

> > Thats true.  If I recall it was in the civil war that Russia sent over a
> > fleet that stopped England and France from picking up the pieces.
>
> What's true?  Are you suggesting that America was saved because of
> Russia???
>
> First off, the Nazis didn't kill 20 million Russians.  Stalin killed
> 20 million Russians by leaving them out in the freezing elements
> without supplies for extended periods of time.
>
> Nazi Germany and Japan needed petro and that petro came from the east
> indies region of the world where American military was in full force.
>
> America had Germany both by power and by strategic positioning.
>
> Europe can thank the good ol' USofA for saving the world!

No, not really. The US needed Europe, and Europe needed the US.

Say what you may, but if you were a soldier going to shore in D-Day...
you would probably be extremely glad that the United States was not
fighting Germany one on one.

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      starts
  getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:50:39 +1200

Rotten168 wrote:

> Quantum Leaper wrote:
>

>>The all mighty dollar stopped more trips to the moon,  it was planned to
>>have 12 trips,  but it very expensive to send men to the moon.   The USA
>>beat the USSR and that was the main point,  anyway.   The Japanese are send
>>a probe to the moon next year,  I believe.
>>

> Personally I'm finding that the ISS is very interesting... it's also an
> international effort which I find better than just a solo-US effort. If
> Earth is ever to colonize space it will have to be an international
> effort anyway so we might as well get used to working together. Besides
> the heads of several countries is much better than just the heads of the
> United States, everybody from different countries working on a common
> goal. Think of it as Linux in space. =^)
>
> There were some really awesome photos of the ISS posted on slashdot the
> other day... makes me want to get out my old telescope.

It actually needed to be an international effort, as they required
Russian experience in terms of long duration space living and other
areas the US doesn't have experience in.  Cosidering within the space of
15-16 years, the Soviet's put quite a few stations up in space, ranging
from scientific to military uses.  So, in some respects, the Soviet
Union had a grander plan for its space knowledge rather than seeing
whether beans grow in space.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
starts    getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:56:21 +1200

> No, not really. The US needed Europe, and Europe needed the US.
>
> Say what you may, but if you were a soldier going to shore in D-Day...
> you would probably be extremely glad that the United States was not
> fighting Germany one on one.

What everyone forgets is the warning the German Economic minister gave

to Hitler if the war dragged on too long, and the dire financial position

Germany was in during the war.  It was only a matter of time before the

shit hit the fan, and Germany collapsed economically.

Regarding the Soviets, Stalin warned the western alliance years and
years before the war broke out, and no body listened to his warnings.
When the League of Nations appeased the NAZI regeme, Stalin warned of
the dire consequences. I guess the Soviets were able to turn around and
say, "I told you so".

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Ben Franchuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:13:13 -0600

Mark wrote:
> Welcome to the real, adult world, where we can't all have exactly what
> we want.  Father Christmas is not going to wave his magic reindeer and
> pull a replacement machine which is magically exactly the same as the
> one you have out of his sack.

Another problem is all that software that uses the HD's hex serial number
for ID. You have to wait a few days until we can send you a new license
for that piece of software sir.
Ben.

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:05:40 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> > No, not really. The US needed Europe, and Europe needed the US.
> >
> > Say what you may, but if you were a soldier going to shore in D-Day...
> > you would probably be extremely glad that the United States was not
> > fighting Germany one on one.
> >

> What everyone forgets is the warning the German Economic minister gave
>
> to Hitler if the war dragged on too long, and the dire financial position
>
> Germany was in during the war.  It was only a matter of time before the
>
> shit hit the fan, and Germany collapsed economically.

Yes and the industrial powers-that-be were also dead-set against another
war... they knew that it would destroy Germany and they weren't too keen
losing their power, which they knew would happen if Germany lost another
war. They were more dead-set against the Communists though and
considered Hitler to be the lesser of the two evils. Once Hitler
obtained power though, it was too late.

> Regarding the Soviets, Stalin warned the western alliance years and
> years before the war broke out, and no body listened to his warnings.
> When the League of Nations appeased the NAZI regeme, Stalin warned of
> the dire consequences. I guess the Soviets were able to turn around and
> say, "I told you so".

Actually from what I've read is that Stalin totally disregarded all
German transgressions after signing the nonaggression pact in 1939... he
even had Soviet officers who warned that the Nazi were about to attack
executed. Stalin was terrified of the German dictator, and didn't want
to provoke *anything*. He also didn't want to be made a fool of. Stalin
may be more to blame than any other leader actually.