From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So how many applications can Windows run on the IA-64?
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:19:14 -0600

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 05:43:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
Ebert) wrote:

>But I disagree that Suse is king of the applications distro's.
>
>It is Debian which contains over 4,200 applications in Potato
>and with Woody this figure will top 7,000 easily.

I'm thinking of what comes in the box. Once you start talking
downloads there's no reason to stop at one distro's official site.

>Debian has always been the king of support for the Linux
>community.

So I hear. I keep wanting to give it a go but just don't have the time
right now to mess with computers.

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush.limbaugh
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 06:37:16 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> jet wrote:
> >
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > expounded:

> > that
> > suspect
> > into
> > least
> > aids.
> > is

> > fucking -
Africa

> > transfusions),
> > MORON.

> > > It takes more than that for a 100% heterosexual man.
> >
> > What does your mail order bride think about your playing around? Guess
the
> > whore is worried she'll get shipped back to Russia if she speaks up,
huh?
>                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Are you implying that I nail people inside wooden crates and then
> transport them down to the post office?

No, stupid, I'm implying you use the FedEx People pack. :)

http://www.brknews.com/news/fedex.html

> Based on the above, It's quite obvious that you can't form rational
statements.

> *PLONK*

Translation: you painted yourself into a corner, and I called you on it.

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell"
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 07:52:35 +0200

pip wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>>
>> Chad Myers wrote:
>> >
>> > The problem is a general one, it's just another example of you loonies
>> > blaming MS for a common problem.
>> >

>> No, it is not. Linux does not have this problem,
>
> How so ?
>
> You are saying that incompatible shared libraries (eg: changing api)
> under Linux does not break programs ?
>
> As far as I can see if IS a very common problem. It is like if the
> quality of device drivers under Linux were the same as those under
> window - would we have such a reliable system ? It IS the same problem -
> the solution is due to better quality control (and of course design).

How is having problems with *one* app comparable to DLL-Hell from Windows?
I´ve had several times the problem that I had to install your apps in a
certain order, otherwise the stuff simply does not work. Espacially the now
infamous MFC42.DLL comes to mind, which seems to exist in a bazilliion
versions, each incompatible with all the others.

A problem like that simply does not exist under linux.

Peter

--
Microsoft's Product Strategy: "It compiles, let's ship it!"

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Will MS get away with this one?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Form@C)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 06:33:49 GMT

Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

<snip>
> By monopoly defintion you can indeed act anti-competitively.  a
> monopoly has to be able to dictate pricing in the market. If youa re
> the only one, at the time, in the market, you can price the product so
> that you effectively bar entrance into the market.

<snip>

What M$ did was offer their customers bulk pricing. This was really a first
for the computer software market. Up until this point every machine was a
proprietory product with its own method of doing things. No-one *really*
had control of the hardware market. The M$ approach stimulated the hardware
manufacturers into producing systems which could run M$ products - simply
because the M$ software became cheaper as they bought more! This isn't an
anti-competitive approach by M$, it is simply a matter of scaled pricing.
Just because no-one else was willing to try this in the computer market
place you can't blame M$.

Rememnber where we are in time at this point. The home computer market has
just started and has been perceived to be a short term source of income by
IBM. The home/desktop computers currently available are *very* expensive
and, in the UK at least, all imported. Manufacturers are looking for *any*
way to reduce production costs since these new-fangled microprocessor
thingies & dynamic RAM chips are still hellish expensive to buy, but are
slowly getting cheaper. They *need* to get their production costs back: the
general opinion is that the home computer "fad" probably has 5 years or so
to run at maximum then the market will drop to just supplying a few nerds
in the US.

>> When M$ first started producing DOS there simply wasn't
>> anything else apart from CP/M - and that was aimed strictly at the
>> business market.
>
> Was it now. WHat huge market for micros were  in business? Visicalc was
> the first killer business app, and it ran only on Apples for a couple
> of years. I think you need to look at the usage of CP/M in the
> non-business marktet a little more. Besides, even if you are correct,
> DOS was aimed at business too.

As I pointed out above, the cost of computers was a major issue. Yes, home
users could use CP/M - but it was so expensive that only the well-heeled
could consider it! There are probably home users writing in COBOL for
entertainment even as I type this...

CP/M *did* become popular as a home home computer OS, but not on bottom-end
machines where floppy disk drives just weren't an option. The majority
of home computers just couldn't include floppy drives in the price. BASIC
*had* to be in ROM. IIRC the big attraction of CP/M for home users was the
"huge" collection of free programs which became available from the CP/M
User Group. Consequently CP/M suffered a hell of a lot of piracy...

I don't think DOS was really aimed at specific users! It was aimed at the
small computer market place in general.

>> IBM wanted a disk OS for the "small computer" market so that it
>> could put a disk drive onto its (provisionally?) cassette tape based
>> XT series. (I havn't tried this personally, but I am told that if you
>> disconnect the drives before booting an XT it boots into ROM BASIC
>> with cassette support - although the necessary hardware may not be
>> present). M$ ROM BASIC gained popularity simply because it ran from
>> ROM. No-one else bothered with the ROM BASIC market. There were tiny
>> BASICs in ROM (and on tape) of course, and there were disk-based
>> floating point BASICs, but virtually no other ROM-based versions.
>> (Apple did their own AFAIK).
>
> Apple has a couple versions of BASIC, at least one was done inhouse,
> and one licensed from micro$oft. That license caused some problems in
> later licensing talks between Apple and m$.

I bet it did!

>> In these two instances did M$ have a monopoly or were they just
>> producing original products?
>
> Very shourtly after the IBM license deal, m$ did indeed have a onopoly.
> They did NOT produce an original product, since they got DOS from
> someone else.
>

>From what I remember, QDOS wasn't being considered as a usable OS by its
owners. They didn't mind selling it to M$ as it had already done its job
for them. If I am wrong on this then no doubt someone will correct me.

QDOS, (with not much modification), became MS-DOS1. It was rather
crude and didn't really take off until the directory structure system was
added later.

OK, I'll grant you that the original code in MS-DOS1 was mainly QDOS, but
since QDOS wasn't a product at the time, M$ made it into one. They
certainly built on it very quickly because the life span of MS-DOS1 was
only about 12 months IIRC.

> . OK, so they guarded the code closely, but so did
>> everyone else!
>>

> They guard their code, and steal from others.

They may well do now, I'm not arguing that point, but at the time they had
clean noses!

--
Mick
Olde Nascom Computers - http://www.mixtel.co.uk

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 06:33:07 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> jet wrote:
> >
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Oh yes, the old fag "anyone who opposes us is secretly one of us"
routine.

> > > There's a reason nobody ever believes that, fag..

> > > I do...with WOMEN.
> >
> > What does your mail order bride think about you having sex with WOMEN?
>
> False premise.

YOU are the one who says you get sex with WOMEN. (See above.) Were you
lying?

From: Greg Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 06:34:02 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> [...]
> >>      char current;
> >>      do {
> >>          switch (current = *string) {
> >>          case '@':
> >>          case '\'':
> >>              *ptr++ = '@';
> >>          default:
> >>              *ptr++ = *string++;
> >>          }
> >>      } while (current);
> >>      return realloc(buffer, ptr-buffer);
> >>  }
> >
> >Are you TAKING the piss??? All indents should be like THIS:
> >
> >char *function(char *string) {
> > char *buffer = malloc(strlen(string)*2+1);
> > char *ptr = buffer;
> > char current;
> > do {
> >  switch (current = *string) {
> >   case '@':
> >   case '\'':
> >    *ptr++ = '@';
> >   default:
> >    *ptr++ = *string++;
> >  }
> > } while (current);
> > return realloc(buffer, ptr-buffer);
> >}
>
> This could get into a religious war :-), but...
>
> I for one prefer something like the following:
>
> char * function(char *string)
> {
>   char * buffer = maloc(strlen(string)*2 + 1);
>   char * ptr = buffer;
>   char current;
>   do
>   {
>     switch(current = *string)
>     {
>     case '@':
>     case '\'':
>       *ptr++ = '@';
>       /* and drop through */
>     default:
>       *ptr++ = *string++;
>     }
>   } while(current);
>
>   return realloc(buffer, ptr-buffer);
> }
>
> mostly because { and } line up.  IMO, it makes matching things
> a little easier.
>
> I tend to just hit the TAB key, though, for indentation.
> At some point, I'll have to cobble up some VI magic (there's
> a line one can put near the top of source code) to autoset
> the tabs for me -- or just use .virc or .vimrc or something.
>
> Some other users might do:
>
> char *
> function(char * string)
>
> or
>
> char *
> function(
>   char * string  /* this is something useful */
> )
>
> although it depends in part on how many arguments said function needs.
> One nice feature about the last: one can document the arguments, a line
> at a time (although in C++ and Java it's easier to use //, but the idea's
> the same).
>
> Also, one can search fairly easily for function headers:
> /^[a-z][a-z0-9_]*(/
>
> (although in my case /^\{/ would work almost as well).

Hey guys, do me a big favor when putting code in a message, even if it
is just demo code, and check the return value from malloc() for errors
before using the result.  You made my nose skid on the keyboard as I was
scanning the message. ;^)

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:48:05 -0700

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rotten168
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:32:36 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you know that out here in AZ, we actually had a Rep.
> >> advocating the idea of having a "state dirt"?  I couldn't
> >> believe that one.  Another case of a pot-smoking lib
> >> dressing like a Rep, IMHO.
> >
> >What's your beef with pot?
>
> There are those who classify pot as an extremely dangerous substance
> (in fact, legally, it's a Class I Narcotic: of no medicinal value
> whatsoever, interdict on sight, etc. etc.)  Note the "killer weed"
> campaign in the 1930's or so.
>
> Others would consider it a gateway drug to the harder stuff,
> such as cocaine, LSD, and PCP.
>
> I'm not sure there's evidence for the truth of either viewpoint,
> although there are indications long-term use will damage
> memory function.  But then, long-term use of alcohol may
> damage liver function -- so where's the consistency?
> Not here, that's for sure.

Long term alcohol useage is a cause of dementia of the alzheimers type.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does XP stands for ???
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:54:46 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:48:36 +1200, Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Stuart Fox wrote:
> >
> >> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> and

> >> I can think of a few.  Just the other day I had to explain to a Unix admin
> >> what an MX record was.
> >>

> >Please explain oh wise one, what is a MX record, because some people may
> >have different names to what you are talking about.
> >

> Some of us might not know wtf an mx record is, yet be capable of looking it up.
>

>http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/glossary/lookup?term=Mail%20exchange%20record%20(MX%20record)

All I get is "Document not found"

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Virus Scanners...
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 08:53:10 +0200

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> If XP is so secure then what will you say
> to a new computer with XP pre-installed and
> another Virus Scanning program also installed?

Whats the relation to Linux?

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:56:35 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Rick wrote:

> > > Oh yes, the old fag "anyone who opposes us is secretly one of us" routine.
> > >
> > > There's a reason nobody ever believes that, fag..

> > > I do...with WOMEN.
> > >

> > Women. Thats plural. Thats multiple sexual partners. Well, did you know
> > your risk of contracting HIV is increasing exponentially?
>
> only if the women are putting sand or other abrasives in their vaginas.
> --

Gives a whole new meaning to pound sand. :-)

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush.limbaugh
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:02:14 -0700

Fernandinande Le Mur wrote:

> [...]
> increased. She advised women that the traditional practice be avoided.
>  Women should stop using drying agents as they increase chances of cuts and
>  hence infection,  Kankansa said.
>
> She said as a government leader during the First Republic, she was in the
> forefront advocating against family planning and particularly the use of
> pill.  At that time we had a population of about 3.5 million and said
> nothing on family planning because we were too few,  Kankasa said.  We
> had a lot of rallies on the Copperbelt and the first thing on the agenda
> was to ban family planning and the use of contraceptive pills.
>
> Kankansa said because of this, Zambia now had one of the highest population
> growth rate on the continent. She said with time she came to realise that
> the country was making a mistake and that prompted her to approach the then
> president Dr Kenneth Kaunda for an action programme to be put in place to
> contain the ever increasing population.
>
> Finance deputy minister Godfrey Simasiku called for ways to be found to
> break the silence surrounding the HIV/AIDS scourge.
>  80 per cent of AIDS victims are ignorant, we must use every opportunity to
>  talk about AIDS,  he said.  The country has lost man hours in burials. In
> my constituency in Kalabo I am losing a teacher every day.  PPAZ national
> chairperson Alfred Masupha said a national strategy to fight the disease has
> to be found before many more lives are lost.
>
>  We should take the scourge of AIDS very seriously or else we may face
> extinction. The situation on the ground is very bad, said Masupha. European
> parliamentarian Helen Beim, at the same function, called for change in
> people s behaviour.
>
> http://www.undp.org/popin/regional/africa/bibs/zamaids.html
> An Investigation of the Behavioural Aspects of "Dry Sex"
>      Practice in Lusaka Urban. NYIRENDA, M. J.
>      (Lusaka: UNZA, 1991, 44p.)  (99)
>      ABSTRACT
>      A study was conducted at the Unversity Teaching
>      Hospital in Lusaka, to explore and document new
>      information related to the behavioural aspects of dry
>      sex behaviour after they have been  counselled about
>      the risk of HIV associated  with dry sex practice. Dry
>      sex was widely practised (86%) among the repondents,
>      cutting across all social, economic and ethnic
>      backgrounds. It was discovered that most women were not
>      aware that dry sex might increase their risk of
>      contracting HIV infection.
>
> Here's an unpopular stat - I verified it a while back via CDC
> info, etc.:
>
> Physical factors
> Certain physical factors make it easier for a man to transmit
> HIV to a woman than vice versa:
> In the absence of sexually transmitted infections, a man with
> HIV has an average chance of one in 500 of passing the virus to
> a woman in a single act of unprotected vaginal intercourse.
> The odds of woman-to-man transmission in the same situation are

That is very informative.  I've never heard of dry sex before.  Doesn't
that hurt a lot??
The peculiar thing I read over here was that prostitutes, for some
reason, are resistant to the aids virus.  Makes one wonder about styles
or social moors.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:09:05 -0700

Rick wrote:

> "Form@C" wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Petticord) wrote in
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
> >
> > > T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > >
> > ><snipped reasonable summation of PC history>

> > ><snip>

> > > There is no legal way to act anti-competitively when you define
> > > anti-competitive to mean "illegal".
> > >

> > Also, you cannot act anti-competitively unless there is already something
> > to compete with.
>
> By monopoly defintion you can indeed act anti-competitively.  a monopoly
> has to be able to dictate pricing in the market. If youa re the only
> one, at the time, in the market, you can price the product so that you
> effectively bar entrance into the market.
>
> > When M$ first started producing DOS there simply wasn't
> > anything else apart from CP/M - and that was aimed strictly at the business
> > market.
>
> Was it now. WHat huge market for micros were  in business? Visicalc was
> the first killer business app, and it ran only on Apples for a couple of
> years. I think you need to look at the usage of CP/M in the non-business
> marktet a little more. Besides, even if you are correct, DOS was aimed
> at business too.
>
> > IBM wanted a disk OS for the "small computer" market so that it
> > could put a disk drive onto its (provisionally?) cassette tape based XT
> > series. (I havn't tried this personally, but I am told that if you
> > disconnect the drives before booting an XT it boots into ROM BASIC with
> > cassette support - although the necessary hardware may not be present). M$
> > ROM BASIC gained popularity simply because it ran from ROM. No-one else
> > bothered with the ROM BASIC market. There were tiny BASICs in ROM (and on
> > tape) of course, and there were disk-based floating point BASICs, but
> > virtually no other ROM-based versions. (Apple did their own AFAIK).
>
> Apple has a couple versions of BASIC, at least one was done inhouse, and
> one licensed from micro$oft. That license caused some problems in later
> licensing talks between Apple and m$.

Correct.  The first one was Apples Integer basic and was quite fast and
was on the mobo.
The second was MS floating-point basic.  At the time I bought my Apple I
had to buy a separate card that had a red paddle switch in the back to
switch between the two basics.
I didn't like loading floating-point basic from cassette tape.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:19:55 -0700

Dan wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > >It's just an option for *my* machine.   Someone looking at the same page
> > >using another browser will not see anything different.
> >
> > Well, we'll just have to see, won't we?
>
> No, *you'll* just have to see.   I've already seen it.   I have Windows
> XP with IE 6 right here.   I'm using it right now on my main PC.
>
> For example, I'm looking at a story on Yahoo that contains the phrase
> "University of Michigan".   It's underlined by a broken maroon line.
> It's clearly not a standard hyperlink.
>
> When you park the mouse over it, a little icon appears.   You click this
> icon, and a pop up window appears.   In this window are 7 choices:
> Academics, Admissions, Alumni, Athletics, News Events, Official Site and
> Search the Web for University of Michigan.
>
> All of these except the last takes you to the relevant University of
> Michigan web page in a separate window.   Search takes you to a MSN page
> with search results.
>
> It's more like an index than a hyperlink.   It's actually very useful.
> Perhaps you should withold your opinion until you've actually used it.
>
> Dan

I take it tho that you responded to this ng currently with a Mac?
So if you set the default to OFF will the above page still work the
same?
If not do users of other systems be SOL??

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:22:55 -0700

Rick wrote:

> Dan wrote:

> > > He never said it was.
> > >
> > > He said the pages are 'intercepted' and changed. Presumably by the
> > > browser.
> >
> > If that were true, then changing the fonts and colors is also
> > "intercepting and changing".   Why is no one complaining about that????
> >
> > Dan
>
> Becasue that is not allowing micro$oft software to put links in your
> page that werent meant to tbe there. Im sure AOL is going to be happy
> about their customers having links put in their pages to MSN. If I
> wanted links in my page, I'd damn well put them there.

Ah! Now that sounds more like what I've heard elsewhere... MSN waring
with AOL.