Hello Vincent,

Thank you for taking a look at the series.

On 3/6/2024 3:29 PM, Vincent Guittot wrote:
> Hi Prateek,
>
> Adding Julia who could be interested in this patchset. Your patchset
> should trigger idle load balance instead of newly idle load balance
> now when the polling is used. This was one reason for not migrating
> task in idle CPU

Thank you.

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 at 18:15, K Prateek Nayak <kprateek.na...@amd.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> [..snip..]
>>

>> Skipping newidle_balance()
>> ==========================
>>
>> In an earlier attempt to solve the challenge of the long IRQ disabled
>> section, newidle_balance() was skipped when a CPU waking up from idle
>> was found to have no runnable tasks, and was transitioning back to
>> idle [2]. Tim [3] and David [4] had pointed out that newidle_balance()
>> may be viable for CPUs that are idling with tick enabled, where the
>> newidle_balance() has the opportunity to pull tasks onto the idle CPU.
>>
>> Vincent [5] pointed out a case where the idle load kick will fail to
>> run on an idle CPU since the IPI handler launching the ILB will check
>> for need_resched(). In such cases, the idle CPU relies on
>> newidle_balance() to pull tasks towards itself.
>
> Calling newidle_balance() instead of the normal idle load balance
> prevents the CPU to pull tasks from other groups

Thank you for the correction.

>> Using an alternate flag instead of NEED_RESCHED to indicate a pending
>> IPI was suggested as the correct approach to solve this problem on the
>> same thread.
>>

>> Proposed solution: TIF_NOTIFY_IPI
>> =================================
>>
>> Instead of reusing TIF_NEED_RESCHED bit to pull an TIF_POLLING CPU out
>> of idle, TIF_NOTIFY_IPI is a newly introduced flag that
>> call_function_single_prep_ipi() sets on a target TIF_POLLING CPU to
>> indicate a pending IPI, which the idle CPU promises to process soon.
>>
>> On architectures that do not support the TIF_NOTIFY_IPI flag (this
>> series only adds support for x86 and ARM processors for now),
>
> I'm surprised that you are mentioning ARM processors because they
> don't use TIF_POLLING.

Yup I just realised that after Linus Walleij pointed it out on the
thread.

> [...]
>> the newly introduced TIF_NOTIFY_IPI flag:
>> --
>> CPU0                                                    CPU1
>> ====                                                    ====
>>                                                         do_idle() {
>>
>> __current_set_polling();
>>
>> monitor(addr);
>>                                                                 if
>> (!need_resched_or_ipi())
>>
>> mwait() {
>>                                                                         /*
>> Waiting */
>> smp_call_function_single(CPU1, func, wait = 1) {
>>         set_nr_if_polling(CPU1) {
>>                 /* Realizes CPU1 is polling */
>>                 try_cmpxchg(addr,
>>                             &val,
>>                             val | _TIF_NOTIFY_IPI);
>>         } /* Does not send an IPI */
>>         ...                                                             } /*
>> mwait exit due to write at addr */
>>         csd_lock_wait() {                                       ...
>>         /* Waiting */
>> preempt_fold_need_resched(); /* fold if NEED_RESCHED */
>> __current_clr_polling();
>> flush_smp_call_function_queue() {
>> func(); /* Will set NEED_RESCHED if sched_ttwu_pending() */
>>         } /* End of wait */                                     }
>> }                                                               if
>> (need_resched()) {
>>
>> schedule_idle();
>> smp_call_function_single(CPU1, func, wait = 1) {                }
>>         ...                                                     ... /* IRQs
>> remain enabled */
>>         arch_send_call_function_single_ipi(CPU1); ----------->  /* Processes
>> the IPI */
>> --
>>
>> Results
>> =======
>>
>> With the TIF_NOTIFY_IPI, the time taken to complete a fixed set of IPIs
>> using ipistorm improves drastically. Following are the numbers from the
>> same dual socket 3rd Generation EPYC system (2 x 64C/128T) (boost on,
>> C2 disabled) running ipistorm between CPU8 and CPU16:
>>
>> cmdline: insmod ipistorm.ko numipi=100000 single=1 offset=8 cpulist=8 wait=1
>>
>>   ==================================================================
>>   Test          : ipistorm (modified)
>>   Units         : Normalized runtime
>>   Interpretation: Lower is better
>>   Statistic     : AMean
>>   ==================================================================
>>   kernel:                               time [pct imp]
>>   tip:sched/core                        1.00 [0.00]
>>   tip:sched/core + revert               0.81 [19.36]
>>   tip:sched/core + TIF_NOTIFY_IPI       0.20 [80.99]
>>
>> Same experiment was repeated on an dual socket ARM server (2 x 64C)
>> which too saw a significant improvement in the ipistorm performance:
>
> Could you share more details about this ARM server ? Could it be an Arm64 one
> ?
> I was not expecting any change for arm/arm64 which are not using TIF_POLLING

I looked at the lscpu output and it said It was an "aarch64" server with
model name "Neoverse-N1". Let me go back and test it once again just to
be sure I did not catch a one off behavior (Might be a while since I
have limited access to this machine) I'll also add a debug
WARN_ON_ONCE() to see if "TIF_NOTIF_IPI" is being set.

>>   ==================================================================
>>   Test          : ipistorm (modified)
>>   Units         : Normalized runtime
>>   Interpretation: Lower is better
>>   Statistic     : AMean
>>   ==================================================================
>>   kernel:                               time [pct imp]
>>   tip:sched/core                        1.00 [0.00]
>>   tip:sched/core + TIF_NOTIFY_IPI       0.41 [59.29]
>>
>> netperf and tbench results with the patch match the results on tip on
>> the dual socket 3rd Generation AMD system (2 x 64C/128T). Additionally,
>> hackbench, stream, and schbench too were tested, with results from the
>> patched kernel matching that of the tip.
>>

>> Future Work
>>
>> Evaluate impact of newidle_balance() when scheduler tick hits an idle
>> CPU. The call to newidle_balance() will be skipped with the
>
> But it should call the normal idle load balance instead

Yup, but the frequency of normal idle balance will be lower than the
frequency at which a newidle balance is being triggered currently if
tick is not disabled right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Prateek