On 27/05/14 15:07, Ulf Hansson wrote:
Hmm. Looking a bit deeper into this, we have some additional related
code to fixup. :-)

In ->probe(), we do clk_set_rate(100MHz), if the mclk > 100MHz. That's
due to the current variants don't support higher frequency than this.
It seems like the Qcom variant may support up to 208MHz? Now, if
that's the case, we need to add "f_max" to the struct variant_data to
store this information, so we can respect different values while doing
clk_set_rate() at ->probe().

Yes, qcom SOCs support more than 100Hhz clock.

Probe and clk_set_rate/set_ios should respect this.

On the other thought, Should probe actually care about clocks which are
explicitly controlled? It should not even attempt to set any frequency to
start with.

The 100 MHz is related to constraints set by the specification of the
IP block, not the MMC/SD/SDIO spec.

Thus at ->probe() we must perform the clk_set_rate().
I agree its valid for controllers which have this constraints.

mmc-core would set the right frequency depending on the mmc
state-machine respecting f_min and f_max.
I think for qcom, probe should just check the if f_max and f_min are valid
and set them to defaults if any in the same lines as existing code.

While updating mmc->f_max for host->variant->explicit_mclk_control, we
shouldn't care about using the host->mclk as a limiter, instead, use
min(mmc->f_max, host->variant->f_max) and fallback to fmax.

Yes, that's correct, mclk should not be used as limiter. Adding f_max to the
variant looks useful.

Not sure how that will affect the logic. :-)

Additionally, this makes me wonder about f_min. I haven't seen
anywhere in this patch were that value is being set to proper value,
right?

f_min should be 400000 for qcom, I think with the default mclk frequency
and
a divider of 512 used for calculating the f_min is bringing down the
f_min
to lessthan 400Kz. Which is why its working fine.
I think the possibility of mclk default frequency being greater than
208Mhz
is very less. so I could either leave it as it is Or force this to 400000
all the time for qcom chips.

No, this seems like a wrong approach.

I think you would like to do use the clk_round_rate() find out the
lowest possible rate. Or just use a fixed fallback value somehow.

clk_round_rate(mclk, 0) might be more generic, instead of fixed fallback.
Let the mmc-core figure out what frequency would be best from its table
starting from f_min.

Agree!

clk_round_rate(mclk, 100KHz), might be better though - since that is
actually the lowest request frequency whatsoever.

Perfect.

--srini
Kind regards
Ulf Hansson