On 08/04/2015 05:54 PM, Rob Clark wrote:
On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 1:16 AM, Andrzej Hajda <a.ha...@samsung.com> wrote:
On 08/03/2015 04:04 PM, Rob Clark wrote:
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Andrzej Hajda <a.ha...@samsung.com> wrote:
Hi,

On 07/31/2015 04:48 PM, Rob Clark wrote:
On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 8:58 AM, Boris Brezillon
<boris.brezil...@free-electrons.com> wrote:
Hi Rob,

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 08:13:59 -0400
Rob Clark <robdcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

Another problem I've seen with some drm bridge drivers is that they
directly create their own connector, which, as Archit stated, is wrong
if you decide to chain this bridge with another bridge. The other
I agree with Archit on this.  He took this approach w/ msm support for
external bridges, and it seems sensible that the last bridge
constructs the connector.  (Plus presumably that is where hpd, ddc
probing, etc, is happing)
With this approach many bridges should construct connector conditionally,
depending if there is something behind them in pipeline (the same is true for
encoders and even crtcs). It works, but for me there is lot of unnecessary code
and all those conditional paths make things less friendly for development.
Wouldn't be better to move creation of the connector to the main drm driver,
it would require probably adding some opses/fields to drm_bridges but the
drivers would be simpler, I guess.
six of one, half dozen of the other..   you'd still need to implement
the hpd and ddc probe bits, and that sort of thing *somewhere*.
Whether it is directly by implementing drm_connector in the bridge, or
indirectly via some extra drm_bridge op's called by a shim connector
in the main drm driver, doesn't really seem to change things..

The difference is that instead of duplicating connector related code in every
driver you will call one helper from the main drm driver/core.

Which isn't more than a few lines of code.. I mean, looking at a
couple connectors, the bulk of the code is hpd and ddc related.  That
doesn't magically go away.  There isn't that many lines of
boilerplate, so meh.

Could we get to a consensus for this?

Is it okay for bridge and i2c_encoder to co-exist for now?

Thanks,
Archit

BR,
-R

Regards
Andrzej

BR,
-R

Regards
Andrzej

reason why the bridge should not create the connector by its own is
that in some case the encoder supports different types of connectors (a
TDMS encoder can be used to output HDMI or DVI), and thus, selecting
the connector type should be left to the part responsible for creating
the display pipelines.
did you mean "should" instead of "should not"?  Otherwise I don't
think I understand..

BR,
-R

This being said, I'm definitely not an expert in this area, so don't
hesitate to show me where I'm wrong.

Best Regards,

Boris

--
Boris Brezillon, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project