On 16 December 2015 at 12:44, Ivan T. Ivanov <ivan.iva...@linaro.org> wrote:

>> On Dec 16, 2015, at 12:18 PM, Ulf Hansson <ulf.hans...@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> The same version of hardware is there 4 times. The difference is
>>> the maximum clock frequency supported by them is different. In
>>> downstream kernels we've handled this by trimming the frequency
>>> tables for the different controllers in the clock driver.
>>> Setting the clock to INT_MAX will make it run at 400MHz, which
>>> doesn't look to be supported by anything besides sdc1 on 8974ac.

>>> I'd rather see that done via OPP tables in DT, but I suppose
>>> max-frequency is fine too. We'll need to use OPPs soon enough
>>> because there's a voltage associated with that frequency.
>>>
>>> In case you're wondering, the max frequency for sdc1 on 8974ac is
>>> 400MHz. If it's just a plain 8974pro then the max frequency is
>>> 200MHz. Otherwise, sdc2 maxes out at 200Mhz and sdc3 and sdc4 max
>>> out at 100MHz.
>>>

>> I think we have reached a consensus on the viable options.
>>
>> As we haven't heard from Ivan, do someone want to send a patch for
>> this or shall we just revert $subject patch (which I can deal with)?
>
> I am following this discussion, but I am not sure what I could do.
>
> If my understanding is correct, even if controllers report same version,
> they don’t support 400MHz core clock.

Correct.

> Initial patch fixes real issue. I am voting for “max-frequency” DT property.

I don't have any strong opinion, so I am fine with that approach.

That means at ->probe() we need to consider whether "host->f_max" has
been obtained via DT (mmc_of_parse() parses the "max-frequency" DT
property).
If that's the case, we can choose between two solutions.

1) Consider f_max as the correct value to set via clk_set_rate() and
if f_max isn't available, fall back to a lower "default" frequency to
make sure we are safe.
2) Consider f_max as an upper limit. That means if f_max isn't
available we use INT_MAX instead.

Both alternatives requires DTB to be updated, but option 1) may be
safer as it should allow all cards to be functional, although running
in a lower frequency potentially affecting throughput.

But again, I don't care much, alternative 2 is okay by me as well.

> I don’t have 8974ac, so I can not test the change.

Let's hope for some help here then!

Kind regards
Uffe