>> Try ldd on that binary, it will show you what dynamic objects are missing
>> or try strace (the output is more complicated but more usable, it shows
>> all the search paths, too).
>
>       OK, so I tried strace and ldd on the actual java binary (not the
>softlink to .java_wrapper)

As you've discovered, neither strace nor ldd will work if the binary can't be
exec'd (which happens if the interpreter is missing).  You can find the
interpreter's name with `readelf -l' or, usually, at a pinch with
`strings | head -1'.

p.

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
++        Please use [EMAIL PROTECTED] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++