Jim, and others who are interested..

I am also working with the EBSA-285. My plans are to port the Journaling Flash
File System (JFFS) supplied as open source (GPL) by Axis Communications,   (
http://developer.axis.com/software/jffs/ )
and eventually boot and run linux from it on a stand alone EBSA.

During development and debug, I intend to upload the kernel via the serial port
and to mount an NFS root file system.

Jim Fischer wrote:

> I'm at the point where I'm about ready to download some binaries onto the
> EBSA card, but I haven't been able to find any utilities that I can use to
> do this. Specifically, I'm looking for a FAQ or README or HOWTO somewhere
> that discusses how to:

> a) Create a compressed kernel image, RAM disk, basic file system and some
> tools (e.g., bash shell) that can be booted from the EBSA 285's flash
> memory, and,

I'm using the EBSA-285 bios-1.06 from
ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/armlinux/source/boot/
with Nicolas Pitre's patch ebsa285-bios-1.06.diff2, available at
ftp://ftp.netwinder.org/users/n/nico/
where you can also find various patches and examples of ramdisk images.
The bios allows you to boot from flash, network, serial port or disk. Building
the kernel is done the usual way once you've got your arm-toolchain set up and
running. There is of course the minor issue of tweaking the top level makefile
to use the arm relevant part of the kernel and your cross-toolchain.
(i.e. set ARCH = arm and CROSS_COMPILE = arm-linux- (provided, of course, that
your toolchain prefix is arm-linux-  ;o) )

> b) Download a binary 'elf' image from a PC host (running Windows
> NT/DOS/Linux) to the EBSA's flash memory

There is a flash burning utility for Linux systems and EBSA-285 that comes with
the eCos-1.3.1 distribution. How to use it is described in the "Getting started
with eCos" document under "Loading the ROM image into on-board flash".
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/
The Intel FMU that comes with the EBSA should also do the trick, although I
haven't used it myself.

Enjoy!  ;o)

    - Mathias

--
 | Mathias Teikari           [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |     |o_o |
 | SW Development Engineer   Mobile Ph: +41 (0)76 541 9449 |    //   \ \
 | Telscom AG                Sandrainstr. 17, CH-3007 Bern |   (|     | )

unsubscribe: body of `unsubscribe linux-arm' to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
++        Please use [EMAIL PROTECTED] for           ++
++                        kernel-related discussions.                      ++