On 12.12.2017 16:02, Gordonjcp wrote:
On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 09:26:55PM +0100, Markus Seeber wrote:
and be done with it, let offensive software die. In my eyes writing a plugin GUI
in GTK/Qt is very bad practice for exactly these reasons.
So what would you write it in instead?

You can still statically link for example with FLTK and derivatives or roll your
That doesn't answer the question, really.  For one thing, statically
linking *anything* is utterly ridiculous and anyone doing that now or
indeed at any point in the past 30 years of Unix development should have
their hands cut off.

I guess I need to cut my hands then. And a bunch of other developers will too.

Static linking is sometimes the only choice if you want to ensure the plugin binaries that yourself distribute will work for everyone. Try using a new fftw3 and then use the binary on a slightly older system, and you'll see missing symbols.

We had this kind of discussion several times already...

Either we use self-contained plugins, or stop using (shared library based) plugins altogether.