Hi Wim,

Thanks for the very detailed info!

On 18/01/22 19:24, Wim Taymans wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 16:03, Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsut...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

My problem with that set-up is that it seemed that something like Ardour
would need to be explicitly run via pw-jack so e.g.

pw-jack ardour

You distro probably also has a package that puts the pipewire
libjack.so in LD_LIBRARY path and then you don't have to type pw-jack
anymore.
OK, I think it's an AUR package on Arch and derivatives.

I'm wondering if an application is typically able to work with both, alsa/pulseaudio and/or jack (Ardour, Pure Data, Yoshimi, MuseScore come to mind), how would this work? Some of these I hardly ever run with alsa/pulseaudio, but for example I do sometimes use musescore with pulseaudio, or even Pure Data and Yoshimi. With the current set-up if I am running jack, then alsa/pulseaudio will just fail, which in this case is good because it is 'forcing' me to use jack (in the application) in case something different was set-up. In that scenario what would pipewire prioritize? Would there be a way to tell piipewiere 'hey now I'd like to be in jack mode as much as possible' :-) SMPlayer has a really simple and neat way of setting this up where in the Output driver for audio you can write e.g. 'jack,pulse' (that's the setting I have), and it will try to use those in that order, essentially failing if jack isn't available and then trying pulseaudio

But then setting the samplerate (I have projects at different
samplerates), wasn't trivial.

switch to fixed sample rate (on the fly):

   pw-metadata -n settings 0 clock.force-rate <samplerate>

switch back to dynamic control

   pw-metadata -n settings 0 clock.force-rate 0

Same for buffersize (quantum) :

   pw-metadata -n settings 0 clock.force-quantum <quantum>

and back to dynamic:

   pw-metadata -n settings 0 clock.force-quantum 0

Cool. Would this be done before running a jack application, e.g. Ardour?

Lorenzo.