Thanks both of you. Based on timed_wait, I looked at the boost libraries and found two candidates in the Thread library:
conditional_varaible::timed_wait
and
thread::sleep_until
which can both take an absolute time. I suppose both should be equally usable, since again absolute time can be calculated independent of the last wait/sleep?

Best wishes,

Jeanette

May 19 2022, Fons Adriaensen has written: