On Wed, 13 Dec 2023, Dave Chinner wrote:

> What you are suggesting is that we now duplicate filehandle encoding
> into every filesystem's statx() implementation.  That's a bad
> trade-off from a maintenance, testing and consistency POV because
> now we end up with lots of individual, filehandle encoding
> implementations in addition to the generic filehandle
> infrastructure that we all have to test and validate.

Not correct.  We are suggesting an interface, not an implementation.
Here you are proposing a suboptimal implementation, pointing out its
weakness, and suggesting the has consequences for the interface
proposal.  Is that the strawman fallacy?

vfs_getattr_nosec could, after calling i_op->getattr, check if
STATX_HANDLE is set in request_mask but not in ->result_mask.
If so it could call exportfs_encode_fh() and handle the result.

No filesystem need to be changed.

NeilBrown