On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Shaohua Li <s...@kernel.org> wrote:

>> > The problem is we use the iov_vec to track the pages allocated. We will
>> > read
>> > data to the pages and write out later for resync. If we add new fields to
>> > track
>> > the pages in r1bio, we could use standard API bio_kmalloc/bio_add_page and
>> > avoid the tricky parts. This should work for both the resync and
>> > writebehind
>> > cases.
>>
>> I don't think we need to track the pages specificly - if we clone
>> a bio we share the bio_vec, e.g. for the !MD_RECOVERY_REQUESTED
>> we do one bio_kmalloc, then bio_alloc_pages then clone it for the
>> others bios.  for MD_RECOVERY_REQUESTED we do a bio_kmalloc +
>> bio_alloc_pages for each.
>
> Sure, for r1buf_pool_alloc, what you suggested should work well. There are a
> lot of other places we are using bi_vcnt/bi_io_vec. I'm not sure if it's easy
> to replace them with bio iterator. But having a separate data structue to
> track
> the memory we read/rewite/sync and so on definitively will make things easier.
> I'm not saying to add the extra data structure in bio but instead in r1bio.

>From view of multipage bvec, r1buf_pool_alloc() is fine because
the direct access to bi_vcnt/bi_io_vec just happens on a new allocated
bio. For other cases, if pages aren't added to one bio via bio_add_page(),
and the bio isn't cloned from somewhere,  it should be safe to keep current
usage about accessing to bi_vcnt/bi_io_vec.

But it is cleaner to use bio iterator helpers than direct access.

Thanks,
Ming Lei