On 01/13/2017 05:07 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13 2017 at 10:56am -0500,
> Hannes Reinecke <h...@suse.de> wrote:
>
>> On 01/12/2017 06:29 PM, Benjamin Marzinski wrote:
[ .. ]
>>> While I've daydreamed of rewriting the multipath tools multiple times,
>>> and having nothing aginst you doing it in concept, I would be happier
>>> knowing that it won't simply mean that there are two sets of tools, that
>>> both need to be supported to deal with all customer configurations.
>>>
>> Sure. I feel the pain of supporting multipath-tools all too strongly.
>> Having two tools for the same thing is always a pain, and I would like
>> to avoid this if at all possible.
>
> I welcome your work.  Should help us focus on what fat needs to be
> trimmed from both multipath-tools and kernel.
>
> Might be a good time to branch multipath-tools and get very aggressive
> with trimming stuff that is outdated.
>
> Things like the event stuff, using select interface, that Andy Grover is
> working on (and Mikulas is taking a stab at finishing/optimizing) is
> something that might help... but your approach described in this thread
> may prove better.
>
> Point is, everything should be on the table for revitalizing multipath
> userspace (and kernel) to meet new requirements (e.g. NVMEoF, etc).
>
> And yes, I'd prefer to ultimately see these advances land in terms of DM
> multipath advances but we'll take it as it comes.

I'm fully on board with that.
And it would be good if Ben Marzinski would be present, too;
he might have some insights which both of us might lack
(like the ominous dm-event interface into multipathd where we both
struggle to figure out what it's for ...)

Looking forward to that discussion.
And promising to have some results by then.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
h...@suse.de                          +49 911 74053 688