On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 03:00:41PM -0500, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> "Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.w...@oracle.com> writes:
>
> >> - Whenever you mount a filesystem with DAX, it spits out a message that
> >> says
> >>   "DAX enabled. Warning: EXPERIMENTAL, use at your own risk".  What
> >> criteria
> >>   needs to be met for DAX to no longer be considered experimental?
> >
> > For XFS I'd like to get reflink working with it, for starters.
>
> What do you mean by this, exactly?  When Dave outlined the requirements
> for PMEM_IMMUTABLE, it was very clear that metadata updates would not be
> possible.  And would you really cosider this a barrier to marking dax
> fully supported?  I wouldn't.

For PMEM_IMMUTABLE files, yes, reflink cannot be supported.

I'm talking about supporting reflink for DAX files that are /not/
PMEM_IMMUTABLE, where user programs can mmap pmem directly but write
activity still must use fsync/msync to ensure that everything's on disk.

I wouldn't consider it a barrier in general (since ext4 also prints
EXPERIMENTAL warnings for DAX), merely one for XFS.  I don't even think
it's that big of a hurdle -- afaict XFS ought to be able to achieve this
by modifying iomap_begin to allocate new pmem blocks, memcpy the
contents, and update the memory mappings.  I think.

> > We probably need a bunch more verification work to show that file IO
> > doesn't adopt any bad quirks having turned on the per-inode DAX flag.
>
> Can you be more specific?  We have ltp and xfstests.  If you have some
> mkfs/mount options that you think should be tested, speak up.  Beyond
> that, if it passes ./check -g auto and ltp, are we good?

That's probably good -- I simply wanted to know if we'd at least gotten
to the point that someone had run both suites with and without DAX and
not seen any major regressions between the two.

--D