So it looks like we are super not efficient because most of the
    times we catch 1
    completion per interrupt and the whole point is that we need to find
    more! This fio
    is single threaded with QD=32 so I'd expect that we be somewhere in
    8-31 almost all
    the time... I also tried QD=1024, histogram is still the same.

It looks like it takes you longer to submit an I/O than to service an
interrupt,

Well, with irq-poll we do practically nothing in the interrupt handler,
only schedule irq-poll. Note that the latency measures are only from
the point the interrupt arrives and the point we actually service it
by polling for completions.

so increasing queue depth in the singe-threaded case doesn't
make much difference. You might want to try multiple threads per core
with QD, say, 32

This is how I ran, QD=32.