On 01/26/2017 05:42 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 01/26/2017 09:35 AM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>> On 01/25/2017 11:27 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
[ .. ]
>>> And another variant, this one should be better in that it should result
>>> in less queue runs and get better merging. Hope it works with your
>>> stalls as well.
>>>

>> Looking good; queue stalls are gone, and performance is okay-ish.
>> I'm getting 84k IOPs now, which is not bad.
>
> Is that a tested-by?

Not yet; while doing the performance analysis the system now got a queue
stalled with _legacy_ SQ.
Need to figure out if it's my mpt3sas patches or something else.

>> But we absolutely need to work on I/O merging; with CFQ I'm seeing
>> requests having about double the size of those done by mq-deadline.
>> (Bit unfair, I know :-)
>>
>> I'll be having some more data in time for LSF/MM.
>
> I agree, looking at the performance delta, it's all about merging. It's
> fairly easy to observe with mq-deadline, as merging rates drop
> proportionally to the number of queues configured. But even with 1 queue
> with scsi-mq, we're still seeing lower merging rates than !mq +
> deadline, for instance.
>
> I'll look at the merging case, it should not be that hard to bring at
> least the single queue case to parity with !mq. I'm actually surprised
> it isn't already.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Teamlead Storage & Networking
h...@suse.de                                   +49 911 74053 688