On Wed, 2017-10-04 at 19:30 +0800, Ming Lei wrote:
> Last time, I asked which issue is fixed by this patch, but
> never get answered, so again, what is issue fixed by
> this patch?

That's not correct. I did answer your question. See e.g.
https://marc.info/?l=linux-block&m=150695879309606.

> Given the following patches for making SCSI quiesce safe
> is required in either PM suspend/resume or other path
> of transport_spi revalidate. So once theses patches are
> in, I don't see any I/O hang in suspend/resume given
> the SCSI quiesce issue is very specific one, and not
> see this issue on other kind of device.

There are many more storage drivers and filesystems than the md driver that
can submit I/O after user space processes have been frozen, e.g. the BTRFS
RAID and scrub functionalities. It will take time to fix all these drivers
and also to add filesystem freeze/thaw functionality to the suspend and
resume sequences. As long as not all drivers have been fixed we will need
SCSI device quiescing and resuming as a workaround to avoid that any I/O
occurs while a hibernation image is being created.

Bart.