[...]

>> Moreover, for reasons brought up while reviewing Adrian's series,
>> regarding if mq is "ready", and because I see that the diff for patch
>> 12 is small, I suggest that we just skip the step adding a Kconfig
>> option to allow an opt-in of the mq path. In other words, *the* patch
>> that makes the switch to mq, should also remove the entire left over
>> of rubbish code, from the legacy request path. That's also what you do
>> in patch12, nice!
>
> Partly true.
>
> Adrian also pointed out the rubbishness of the error handling code
> in the old stack, and my patch set does *not* fix that. It is also a part
> of his patch set I like very much and a reason why I would prefer to
> use Adrian's patches if possible.
>
> We have the following risk factors:
>
> - Observed performance degradation of 1% (on x86 SDHI I guess)

I don't think that small degradation is a reason for not enabling mq,
although for sure we should continue to investigate why it is.

> - The kernel crashes if SD card is removed (both patch sets)

Yep, this needs to be fixed.

> - The risk of something nasty happening we don't know of

:-)

>> Finally, I understand that you would be happy to scrap this series,
>> but instead let Adrian's series, when re-posted, to go first. Could
>> you perhaps re-consider that, because I wonder if it may not be
>> smother and less risky, to actually apply everything up to patch 11 in
>> this series?
>
> This is possible.
>
> But I think it is preferred to proceed with Adrian's patches.
> I really like the looks of the code. He says he's coming back with
> a set that also kills off the old block layer, and I am pretty
> positive I will just ACK the whole thing.

Alright, let's go with this option!

> I optimistically think we can jointly fix the card removal issue
> and possible also mitigate or root-cause the performance
> degradation observed by Adrian
>
> In the best of worlds, Ming Lei's patches will just fix this too
> (we'll see, we can probably get a branch from the block people
> to try it) else we can use tracing and perf to drill into it I guess.

I think most of Ming's patches addressing performance issues should be
in Linus' master already, so once I have a my next branch based on
4.15rc1, we should be able to run a new round of test.

Anyway, if anything else is needed from the generic block layer, sure
I am open to pull in a branch if needed.

>> I noticed that you reported issues with card removal during I/O (for
>> both yours and Adrian's mq patch), but does those problems exists at
>> patch 11 - or is those explicitly introduced with the mk patch (patch
>> 12)?
>
> I tested it and it is present earlier in the series. I would have to
> revisit and hash it out.

Right. So, let's then forget about my suggested approach and spend
time more wisely on Adrian's series.

>> Of course, I realize that if we apply everything up to patch11, that
>> would require a massive re-base of Adrian's mq/CQE series, but on the
>> other hand, then matter which mq patch we decide to go with, it should
>> be a rather small diff, thus easy to review and less risky.
>
> At this point I would prefer to use Adrian's series. He has explained
> pretty well his reasoning and when I tested the code it was performing
> well. I have some outstanding thingies, but this I can just as well do
> on top of his patches.

Yep. As stated above, let's go for that solution.

I will then be awaiting a new version from Adrian, hopefully I can
apply his series already when rc1 is out, to make sure we get enough
time to smoke out any remaining problems.

Kind regards
Uffe