On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 01:06:55PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Theodore Ts'o <ty...@mit.edu> wrote:
> > CONFIG_LOCKDEP_CROSSRELEASE and CONFIG_LOCKDEP_COMPLETIONS can result
> > in a large number of false positives because lockdep doesn't
> > understand how to deal with multiple stacked loop or MD devices.
>
> Guys, can we just remove this nasty crud already?
>
> It's not working. Give it up. It was complex, it was buggy, it was slow.
>
> Now it's causing people to disable lockdep entirely, or play these
> kinds of games in unrelated trees.
>
> It's time to give up on bad debugging, and definitely _not_ enable it
> by default for PROVE_LOCKING.

To be fair to Byungchul, I think it *can* be valid for finding some
classes of bugs.  It's just a disaster for anything to do with storage.

I crafted this patch as something something which I thought *could* be
a path forward; it disables it by default, and gives a warning about
how it could cause a lot of pain for storage developers, but if other
kernel devs want to use it to potentially find problem in their
networking or wifi drivers --- sure, why not?  Just make it be
something *optional*.

If people really want to make this work for storage, what I think we
would need is variants of spin_lock_init(), mutex_init(), etc., which
take a struct super or a struct block device, with proper
documentation so that people don't have to struggle with undocumented
C preprocessor macros where every single time I need to mess with
lockdep annotations, I have to try figure out exactly what is a class
and subclass.

So in fact, what I was really hoping for was that some variant of this
patch would end up in the sched tree, and get pushed to you v4.15-rcX
patch as a regression fix, and I'd drop it from the ext4 tree.

                                           - Ted