Hello, Joseph.

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 04:40:02PM +0800, Joseph Qi wrote:
> writeback kworker
>   blkcg_bio_issue_check
>     rcu_read_lock
>     blkg_lookup
>     <<< *race window*
>     blk_throtl_bio
>       spin_lock_irq(q->queue_lock)
>       spin_unlock_irq(q->queue_lock)
>     rcu_read_unlock
>
> cgroup_rmdir
>   cgroup_destroy_locked
>     kill_css
>       css_killed_ref_fn
>         css_killed_work_fn
>           offline_css
>             blkcg_css_offline
>               spin_trylock(q->queue_lock)
>               blkg_destroy
>               spin_unlock(q->queue_lock)

Ah, right.  Thanks for spotting the bug.

> Since rcu can only prevent blkg from releasing when it is being used,
> the blkg->refcnt can be decreased to 0 during blkg_destroy and schedule
> blkg release.
> Then trying to blkg_get in blk_throtl_bio will complains the WARNING.
> And then the corresponding blkg_put will schedule blkg release again,
> which result in double free.
> This race is introduced by commit ae1188963611 ("blkcg: consolidate blkg
> creation in blkcg_bio_issue_check()"). Before this commit, it will lookup
> first and then try to lookup/create again with queue_lock. So revive
> this logic to fix the race.

The change seems a bit drastic to me.  Can't we do something like the
following instead?

blk_throtl_bio()
{
        ... non throttled cases ...

        /* out-of-limit, queue to @tg */

        /*
         * We can look up and retry but the race window is tiny here.
         * Just letting it through should be good enough.
         */
        if (!css_tryget(blkcg->css))
                goto out;

        ... actual queueing ...