On Fri, 2018-02-23 at 11:58 +0200, Jaco Kroon wrote:
> On 22/02/2018 18:46, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> > (cd /sys/kernel/debug/block && find . -type f -exec grep -aH . {} \;)
>
> I don't have a /sys/kernel/debug folder - I've enabled CONFIG_DEBUG_FS
> and BLK_DEBUG_FS, will reboot at the first opportunity.  As a general
> rule - is there additional overhead to having debugfs enabled?  Any
> other risks that I should be aware of?  In essence, are there any
> disadvantages to just enabling DEBUG_FS as a general rule?  I did note
> that a few extra DEBUG options pop up for other modules ... so my gut is
> towards leaving this disabled as a general rule and enabling when needed.

Hello Jaco,

The only disadvantages of enabling debugfs that I know of are:
- The additional memory required by debugfs (probably not that much).
- A security risk if not all users who have an account on the system are fully
  trusted. See e.g. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=681418.

Enabling debugfs doesn't cause any runtime overhead in the hot path of the
block layer if no software accesses the debugfs attributes.

Bart.