On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 02:01:00PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this patch series fixes oops and possible deadlocks as reported by syzbot [1]
> [2]. The second patch in the series (from Tetsuo) fixes the oops, the
> remaining
> patches are cleaning up the locking in the loop driver so that we can in the
> end reasonably easily switch to rereading partitions without holding mutex
> protecting the loop device.
>
> I have tested the patches by creating, deleting, modifying loop devices, and
> by
> running loop blktests (as well as creating new ones with the load syzkaller
> has
> used to detect the problem). Review is welcome but I think the patches are
> fine
> to go as far as I'm concerned! Jens, can you please pick them up?
>
> Changes since v1:
> * Added patch moving fput() calls in loop_change_fd() from under
> loop_ctl_mutex
> * Fixed bug in loop_control_ioctl() where it failed to return error properly
>
> Changes since v2:
> * Rebase on top of 4.20-rc1
> * Add patch to stop fooling lockdep about loop_ctl_mutex
>
>                                                               Honza

Thanks for working on fixing up the Loop driver to fix these races!

Is it worth adding some Cc: sta...@kernel.org lines?  Figuring out
which Fixes they should apply to might be tricky, and from my
experience because of some of the recent loop work, backporting to
older stable kernels is not necessarily going to be trivial.  But
since Dmitry also runs Syzkaller on stable kernels, it'd be great if
we could get them backported without relying on Sasha's AUTOSTABLE.

                                             - Ted