On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 01:38:27PM +0900, Naohiro Aota wrote:
> A zoned block device consists of a number of zones. Zones are
> eitherconventional and accepting random writes or sequential and
> requiringthat writes be issued in LBA order from each zone write
> pointerposition. For the write restriction, zoned block devices are
> notsuitable for a swap device. Disallow swapon on them.

That's unfortunate.  I wonder what it would take to make the swap code be
suitable for zoned devices.  It might even perform better on conventional
drives since swapout would be a large linear write.  Swapin would be a
fragmented, seeky set of reads, but this would seem like an excellent
university project.