On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 02:25:14PM -0600, sys.syphus wrote:
> so am I to read that as if btrfs redundancy isn't really functional?
> if i yank a member of my raid 1 out in live "prod" is it going to take
> a dump on my data?

   Eh? Where did that conclusion some from? I said nothing at all
about RAID-1, only RAID-10.

   So, to clarify:

   In the general case, you can safely lose one device from a btrfs
RAID-10. Also in the general case, losing a second device will break
the filesystem (with very high probability).

   In the case I gave below, with an even number of equal sized
devices, the second device to be lost *may* allow the data to be
recovered with sufficient effort, but the FS in general will probably
not be mountable with two missing devices.

   So, btrfs RAID-10 offers the same *guarantees* as traditional
RAID-10. It's generally less effective with the probabilities of the
failure modes beyond the guarantee.

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | emacs: Eighty Megabytes And Constantly Swapping.
hugo@... carfax.org.uk |