Chris Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Started interactively?  I'm not entirely sure what that means, but in
> general when you ask the user a question about if/how to fix a
> corruption, they will have no idea what the correct answer is.

While that's true today, I'm not sure it has to be true always.
I always thought traditional fsck user interfaces were a
UI desaster and could be done much better with some simple tweaks.

For example the fsck could present the user a list of files that ended
up in lost+found and let them examine them, instead of asking a lot of
useless questions. Or it could give a high level summary on how many
files in which part of the directory tree were corrupted. etc.etc.  Or
it could default to a high level mode that only gives such high level
information to the user.

So I don't think all corruptions could be done perfectly user
friendly, but at least the basic user friendliness in many
situations could be much improved.

-Andi

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]