Jens Axboe <jens.axboe <at> oracle.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 24 2009, Mike Ramsey wrote:
> > Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw <at> ithnet.com> writes:
[snip]
> > Depends on who you talk to.
> >
> > http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ocz-ssd-vertex-intel-solid-state,7127.html
> >
> > "OCZ Says Its New Vertex SSD Beats Intel's X25-E"
>
> Heh, the Vertex beating the X25-E? I think such a statement could only
> come from OCZ. No amount of magic will suddenly make MLC beat SLC, let
> alone a well tuned firmware like the X25-E's. I'm sure they concocted
> some synthetic benchmark where the Vertex has some slight edge. In the
> real world, the X25-E wipes the floor with the Vertex.
>
> The Vertex is indeed a good performer, in its price range it's currently
> the one to beat. I have doubts about the maturity of the product though,
> looks mostly like a live beta being tested in the field. So I'd just be
> careful with what kind of use they are put to. But just running tests on
> the drive does show that it performs well for most things.

If I was buying for business than the Intel drives would be my choice.
They are clearly the quality leader.  For instance, Intel has tweaked
their firmware to optimize for small IOs.  The X25-E and X25-M are class.
We agree here I think.

For home use where it is *my* money I am willing to have a little faith
in order to save a couple hundred dollars.  I realize that OCZ and its
controller supplier will be shipping firmware updates.  But don't kid
yourself, so is Intel.

BTW, what OCZ did to increase speed was to increase the cache size in
their large capacity high end Vertex models.  This wouldn't help my
30 GB model.

Mike Ramsey