Thanks! I have a follow up question: Are back references reference counted? If so, this should mean that after the file system COWs an inode, it must increase the reference counts of its file extent back references. Do we know what is the overhead? In the case they are not reference counted, how does the system know when to drop the reference?

What are the bookend extents? Is the number of bookend requests in the fourth field of a file extent back reference the number of times the extent occurs within the file?

Thank you,

Peter Macko