On Wed, Sep 09 2009, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Jens Axboe<jens.ax...@oracle.com> wrote:

> >> If by cheap SSD drive you mean an Indilinx Barefoot based one, we might
> >> be using the same hardware (30GB Vertex in my case).
> >
> > Spooky, yes indeed that's the very same drive I'm using. Also see my
> > postings on this very issue here, top two entries:
> >
> > http://axboe.livejournal.com/
> >
> > So that pretty much looks like it reaffirms some of my suspicions. Is
> > the drive in a laptop that you suspend and resume?
>
> If you're on firmware < 1.30, the changlog includes some fixes which
> may be relevant, eg if "block 0" is relative, or you're
> suspending/resuming:
>
> - Race condition occurred during soft reset handler
> - If read fail occurs during reading stamp information, firmware
> corrupted block 0.
> - Power off recovery had bug in certain circumstances
>
> http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57516

The issue is pretty much moot at this point, since OCZ support were not
really interested in providing any sort of real technical support to
find out what really caused this issue. My main worry was reliability of
these cheaper SSD drives, and that worry is still not resolved. If you
read the blog entries, I do comment on the apparently scary basic bugs
taht are still being fixed on the Indilinx controllers. I do expect some
basic level of data integrity from a consumer product and at least some
interest in resolving weird corruption issues if things go wrong. Since
OCZ cannot provide anything like that, I have a hard time recommending
these drives for anything but very casual use. Fast, cheap, reliable.
Pick any two.

My drive was running 1.10 at the time of the problem.

--
Jens Axboe