On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 07:29:56PM -0700, u...@sonic.net wrote:
> Is there a more aggressive filesystem restorer than btrfsck?  It simply
> gives up immediately with the following error:
>
> btrfsck: disk-io.c:739: open_ctree_fd: Assertion `!(!tree_root->node)'
> failed.

btrfsck currently only checks whether a filesystem is consistent. It
doesn't try to perform any recovery or error correction at all, so it's
mostly useful to developers. Any error handling occurs while the
filesystem is mounted.

> Yet, the filesystem has plenty of data on it, and the discs are good and I
> didn't do anything to the data except regular btrfs commands and normal
> mounting.  That's a wildly unreliable filesystem.

btrfs is under heavy development, so make sure you're using the latest
git versions of the kernel module and tools.