On Tuesday 15 June 2010 17:16:06 David Pottage wrote:
> On 15/06/10 11:41, Nikanth Karthikesan wrote:
> > I had a one-off use-case, where I had no free-space, which made me
> > think along this line.
> >
> > 1. We have the GNU split tool for example, which I guess, many of us
> > use to split larger files to be transfered via smaller thumb drives,
> > for example. We do cat many files into one, afterwards. [For this
> > usecase, one can simply dd with seek and skip and avoid split/cat
> > completely, but we dont.]
>
> I am not sure how you gain here as either way you have to do I/O to get
> the split files on and off the thumb drive. It might make sense if the
> thumb drive is formated with btrfs, and the file needs to be copied to
> another filling system that can't handle large files (eg FAT-16), but I
> would say that is unlikely.

But you do have to do only half as much of I/O with those features
implemented.

The old way is:
1. Have a file
2. split a file (in effect use twice as much drive space)
3. copy fragments to flash disks

The btrfs way would be:
1. Have a file
2. split the file by using COW and referencing blocks in the original file (in
effect using only a little more space after splitting)
3. copy fragments to flash disks

the amount of I/O in the second case is limited only to metadata operations,
in the first case, all data must be duplicated

--
Hubert Kario
QBS - Quality Business Software

System Zarządzania Jakością