On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 07:57:00AM +0200, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, linux-btrfs,
>
> I can't switch a running "btrfs filesystem balance ..." via
>
>         ctrl z
>         bg
>
> into the background, with other jobs this way works.
>
> The stopping command "ctrl z" doesn't work.
>
> (may be on other keyboards it's "ctrl y")
>
> What goes wrong?

   A balance is a single long-lived ioctl call, so the userspace
process is living in D state (uninterruptible sleep) until the kernel
finishes.

   I've got a patch that forks the process, and runs the ioctl in the
background, returning immediately. I should be able to get it to the
list this weekend as part of the userspace side of the balance
management patches.

   Hugo.

  --- There are three things you should never see being made: laws, ---
                        standards,  and sausages.