On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Geoff Ritter <geoff.rit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 04:20 -0500, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
>>
>> i tried with loop devices at first, then "real" devices -- this is all
>> under KVM/QEMU, and with FSs that are/will be smaller than 1G.
>
> I have tried the seed option as well.  I was able to successfully mount
> the read write partition after setting up the seed.  However, both had
> to be independent partitions on a real device.
>
> During testing, both .38 and .39rc could NOT create a seed if one or
> both partitions were encrypted.  I believe encrypted partitions also
> work with a loop device for the unlocked version you write too.  The
> response I got after a few days is as follows:
>
>> Chris Mason chris.ma...@oracle.com
>> cwillu <cwi...@cwillu.com>
>> date  Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:42 PM
>> Ok, looks like I busted the seed support
>> when I fixed up some of the chunk
>> allocations.  I'll reproduce this and
>> work out a fix.
>
> I just assumed it would take a while to fix so I haven't tried again
> since.  If the root of the problem appears to be loop devices, you might
> want to report that.  Err I guess you did.  To me, this doesn't explain
> why it wouldn't work in a Virtual Machine.  I would have thought the VM
> would treat it as a real device.

yeah ... i wasn't sure if this was the same exact problem you had or
what, i can't find much info at all about anyone using seed support.

i tried loop devices on my real machine too (.38), and because of
continuous oops/locks i moved to a VM so i didn't hose my system.
however, when i tried with "real" devices in the VM, these were not
loopbacks, they were just regular raw files used as backing for QEMU
(though i don't know if it internally uses loopback) ... they were
exposed as virtio devices /dev/vdb and /dev/vdc.  i got the exact same
results using those devices, using btrfs-vol instead of btrfs, and a
whole slew of other trial and error that all led to the same issue.

the 10 lines or so i provided earlier reproduces consistently for me
... in the end, it *seemed* to work, but still :-)

what i REALLY want though, is simply more information on how seeding
works and should be used ... the wiki et al seem to imply that i can
reuse the seed device for MULTIPLE filesystems ... how can i do this?
i tried adding the device to an existing array but i couldnt see any
files ... can anyone shed some light on this feature?

thanks much,

C Anthony