>>>>> "Alasdair" == Alasdair G Kergon <a...@redhat.com> writes:

Alasdair> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 04:38:36PM +1000, Neil Brown wrote:
>> It might make sense for a device to be able to report what the maximum
>> 'N' supported is... that might make stacked raid easier to manage...

Alasdair> I'll just say that any solution ought to be stackable.

I've been mulling this over too and wondering how you'd handle this,
because upper layers really can't peak down into lower layers easily.
As far as I understand things.

So if you have btrfs -> luks -> raid1 -> raid6 -> nbd -> remote disks

How does btrfs handle errors (or does it even see them!) from the
raid6 level when a single nbd device goes away?  Or taking the
original example, when btrfs notices a checksum isn't correct, how
would it push down multiple levels to try and find the correct data?

Alasdair> This means understanding both that the number of data access
Alasdair> routes may vary as you move through the stack, and that this
Alasdair> number may depend on the offset within the device.

It almost seems to me that the retry needs to be done at each level on
it's own, without pushing down or up the stack.  But this doesn't
handle the wrong file checksum issue.

Hmm... maybe instead of just one number, we need another to count the
levels down you go (or just split 16bit integer in half, bottom half
being count of tries, the upper half being levels down to try that
read?)

It seems to defeat the purpose of layers if you can go down and find
out how many layers there are underneath you....

John