On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Justin Gottula <jus...@jgottula.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently created a Btrfs volume on top of a software (mdadm) raid5 array
> (since Btrfs currently lacks raid5 support at the FS level). On this 640 GB
> volume, I stored a ~400 GB tar file. After a couple weeks of use, I used
> 'btrfs
> defragment' on this file in an effort to (a) defrag and (b) compress the
> file. I
> made sure I was using the latest version of the userspace utilities (Btrfs
> v0.19-35-g1b444cd-dirty) as well as kernel 3.0.

did you use the integration branch, ie:

http://git.darksatanic.net/repo/btrfs-progs-unstable.git

... this has the latest code for the time being.  looks like
`integration-20110805` is the most recent head.

> <snip>
>
> At this point, I took a disk image and dived in, and in doing so discovered
> that
> somehow, there were CHUNK_ITEMs in the chunk tree that referred to physical
> address ranges that were entirely outside of the device (matching up to the
> ranges showing up in the kernel log over and over). Evidently, the filesystem
> driver thought it should move the root tree onto a chunk that existed at a
> nonexistant offset in the device. I checked the superblocks and verified that
> the total_bytes fields matched up correctly to the actual device size, which
> leaves me wondering how those chunks ever got there.

i could be way of base here, but your report reminded me of:

[thread] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/index.html#12121

extent data backref root 5 objectid 258 offset 18446744073709543424 count 1
extent data backref root 5 objectid 257 offset 0 count 1

> So I think we have to live with this defect, just fix relocation for
> the negative offset case ?

I prefer fixing relocation.

... which, if i understood correctly, surfaced some issues with
relocation that could cause the offset to be grossly inaccurate (eg.
off the device completely?)

could of course be completely unrelated :-)

--

C Anthony