On 10/28/2011 09:32 AM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
some of us make use of snapshot/clone, whether it's using btrfs or zfs :)

No, this is just flat my fault: it doesn't matter what backup method you use if
you do it wrong.  (I actually have three snapshots of each of my two
partitions.)

What do you mean don't let you do anything? Can you mount it read-only
and copy the data off the disk?

You can mount it on the older kernels, but, once you try any form of access,
you can watch your load spike as it spews errors into dmesg.

I'd try 3.1. If you use 11.10 try
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.1-oneiric/

3.1 is what the system had been running; it simply panics when trying to mount
the FS.

Hello Ken,

Personally I would be very afraid to go from 3.1 to 2.6.x. There should be no incompatible changes, but still I would expect all sorts of trouble and instability at the very least. There are a few mount options that were added in 3.x and that will not work with older kernels. Might be you are hitting those as well if you used them (just wild guessing without any real grounds).

I would try getting the latest live CD with 3.1 from somewhere and try to mount your various snapshots from there. You might as well be lucky and be able to mount some of your snapshots.
The repair program from this list would be your last resort I think (

~d