On 10/29/2011 08:45 AM, em...@joachim-neu.de wrote:

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 22:09:47 +0100, Hugo Mills <h...@carfax.org.uk> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 08:36:28PM +0000, em...@joachim-neu.de wrote:
Today I downgraded from Ubuntu's APT repo "oneiric-proposed" (which
brings some kernel 3.0.0-13) back to the standard repo "oneiric".

It's odd that switching from one 3.0.0 to another would cause
something bad to happen. Did something else happen in the process,
like a reboot without a clean shutdown? (This includes power loss,
suspend and failure to resume, and Alt-SysRq-b).

I agree, but there was no power loss or anything. Maybe the fs didn't
unmount correctly or fast enough when rebooting?

Now I'm not able to mount my btrfs / and /home (both on the same
partition) anymore:

device fsid SOME-UUID devid 1 transid 84229 /dev/dm-0
parent transid verify failed on 77078528 wanted 83774 found 84226
parent transid verify failed on 77078528 wanted 83774 found 84226
parent transid verify failed on 77078528 wanted 83774 found 84226
parent transid verify failed on 77078528 wanted 83774 found 84226
btrfs: open_ctree failed

The boot process drops to the initramfs shell with no btrfsck
available.

It wouldn't make any difference if it were -- btrfsck doesn't
actually fix anything, I'm afraid. This error message is regrettably
generic, and covers a whole range of evils. It's possible that 3.1 may
be able to deal swith the breakage ufficiently well to allow you to
boot and copy your files.

I'll give the 3.1 kernel a try right after "restore" finished which is
running right now and doing quite a good job so far (as far as my / is
concerned, lets wait for the /home).

You should definitely try 3.1. There are many improvements for btrfs.
What errors are you getting on the screen and in your logs when you try to mount your subvolumes manually when booting from a live CD? Are / and /home in different subvolumes by the way?

What do the above error messages indicate?

Try to google it. It looks like pretty common error that can be caused by a bunch of things as Hugo mentioned.

Is there an incrementing
number for every transaction and the number of the most recent
transaction is stored somewhere and those messages occur once those
numbers are out of sync somehow? Is it possible to "just" discard the
last transactions? I would not mind, better loose a day than a month...
Why is the message there three times? Is this information stored in a
couple of backups? If so: can't I use any of the other backups
temporarily? "restore" opens the fs in a ro recovery mode somehow where
it ignores those errors. Is it possible to "force" the btrfs driver to
load the fs in this recovery mode as readonly, too?

I don't think anything of this is possible.

~d