On 11/21/2011 12:20 PM, Arne Jansen wrote:
On 11/21/2011 05:06 PM, Phillip Susi wrote:
On 7/10/2011 4:21 AM, Arne Jansen wrote:

btrfs qgroup limit 10g /usr

That should be simple enough for the common use case.

Wouldn't that make the syntax above actually be:

btrfs qgroup limit [--exclusive]<size|none>  [qgroupid]<path>

You don't mean to actually changing the syntax, but adding a better
explanation or a more precise usage?

What I mean is that your syntax listed <groupid> in angle brackets, indicating that it is a required argument, but your description seems to indicate that it is optional, so it should be in square brackets. Also the size bit I assume was meant to be a required parameter that should be either a number or the word none, so the angle brackets should enclose the |none part too.

I also have a question about the interactions with groups of groups. Say
I have 4 subvolumes: 1, 2, 3, and Z.  I group the first 3 volumes and
set a limit on them.  Now if all 3 volumes share a chunk of space, that
space should only count towards the group once, rather than 3 times.

It's just what groups are made for. In your scenario the chunk of space
would count only once. Some hopefully better explanation can be found at

Ohh, so the group is a union of the chunks in the members, not a sum? So if you set an exclusive limit on the group, that would count everything shared between 1, 2, 3 once, and not count any shared with Z? In other words, --exclusive excludes space shared with things outside the group, not within it?

http://sensille.com/qgroups.pdf

Have you already played with the patchset?

Not yet; I just found it today from the new thread on the subject, and look forward to playing with it tonight. I was wondering what revision the patches are based on, and are they in a public git repo?