On 28 January 2012 14:32, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
> Hadmut Danisch posted on Sat, 28 Jan 2012 01:49:26 +0100 as excerpted:
>
>> Am 28.01.2012 00:20, schrieb Chester:
>>> It should be okay to mount with compress or without compress. Even if
>>> you mount a volume with compressed data without '-o compress' you will
>>> still be able to correctly read the data (but newly written data will
>>> not be compressed)
>>
>> But having both compressed and uncompressed files in the filesystem is
>> exactly what I want to avoid. Not because of reading problems, but to
>> avoid wasting disk space. I don't have a reading problem. I have a
>> writing problem.
>
> Having a compression flag in the superblock (probably more than one, thus
> allowing indication of compression type, etc), which is I guess what
> you're suggesting, sounds useful to me too.  Perhaps it'll get it, once
> development settles down a bit and they know enough about what's still
> missing in the existing superblock to be able to intelligently allocate
> flags, etc, on a priority basis based on what they then know they need.

mkfs -O some_feature comes to mind. I know mke2fs has that, but I
haven't yet actually used btrfs; I'm waiting for fsck to be able to
repair a damaged filesystem.

> At this point I can certainly see a reluctance to make that change, tho,
> since it's a rather small change to make on its own, and with continuing
> tweaks to the compression types and etc, it's worth holding off
> committing now to what might look like a bad implementation down the
> line, when it has to continue to be supported.

This would affect not just a compression-preference option, but
existing filesystems with compression. If the compression routine
changes in a later kernel/filesystem revision, then you could end up
with some files using one routine and others using another. Does btrfs
currently have an "algorithm" specifier for compressed files?