On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Ahmet Inan
<ai...@mathematik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Sergei Trofimovich <sly...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 22:54:41 +0200
>> Ahmet Inan <ai...@mathematik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

>>> Josef, i finally found out something:
>>>
>>> btrfs in kernel => fast boot
>>> btrfs as module => very slow boot
>>>
>>> and here see the results:
>>> http://aam.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/IAM/homepages/ainan/bootchart_btrfs_in_kernel.png
>>>
>>> this is much, much better!
>>>
>>> I dont understand why btrfs as a module performs that bad on rotating disk.
>>> On SSD i had no issues and also i never used space_cache before.
>>
>> There is a suspiction that putting space_cache (or anything else) to fstab
>> for rootfs
>> does not get applied due to a bug:
>>
>>    http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg16039.html
>
> Thats right.
>
> space_cache only got enabled for real, after ive set the option in the
> boot argument once.
> Even if it looks like it gets enabled in dmesg via /etc/fstab,
> the next boot without space_cache doesnt show space_cache enabled.
>
> But this is another problem i will look into later.

I just pulled for-linus and thank you for that patch Sergei.
Now i can enable space_cache on all systems without playing
with bootarguments or fstab:

# mount -o remount,space_cache /

it speeds up boot times after a couple reboots. perfect!

> At the moment the biggest problem is having btrfs as a module.

To be sure i just rebooted that troublesome computer again with
btrfs as module and with space_cache enabled:

http://aam.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de/IAM/homepages/ainan/bootchart_btrfs_as_module.png

So it looks like btrfs as module only amplified that
space_cache problem ..

And now that space_cache is enabled and working even btrfs as
module works ok.

Conclusion:

btrfs in kernel + space_cache solves all my slow boot problems.

Ahmet