On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 11:28:13AM +0200, Alessio Focardi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some help in designing a storage structure for 1 billion of small
> files (<512 Bytes), and I was wondering how btrfs will fit in this scenario.
> Keep in mind that I never worked with btrfs - I just read some documentation
> and browsed this mailing list - so forgive me if my questions are silly! :X
>

> On with the main questions, then:

> - What's the advice to maximize disk capacity using such small
>   files, even sacrificing some speed?

   See my comments below about inlining files.

> - Would you store all the files "flat", or would you build a
>   hierarchical tree of directories to speed up file lookups?
>   (basically duplicating the filesystem Btree indexes)

   Hierarchically, for the reasons Hubert and Boyd gave. (And it's not
duplicating the btree indexes -- the tree of the btree does not
reflect the tree of the directory hierarchy).

> I tried to answer those questions, and here is what I found:
>
> it seems that the smallest block size is 4K. So, in this scenario,
> if every file uses a full block I will end up with lots of space
> wasted. Wouldn't change much if block was 2K, anyhow.

   With small files, they will typically be inlined into the metadata.
This is a lot more compact (as you can have several files' data in a
single block), but by default will write two copies of each file, even
on a single disk.

   So, if you want to use some form of redundancy (e.g. RAID-1), then
that's great, and you need to do nothing unusual. However, if you want
to maximise space usage at the expense of robustness in a device
failure, then you need to ensure that you only keep one copy of your
data. This will mean that you should format the filesystem with the -m
single option.

> I tough about compression, but is not clear to me the compression is
> handled at the file level or at the block level.

> Also I read that there is a mode that uses blocks for shared storage
> of metadata and data, designed for small filesystems. Haven't found
> any other info about it.

   Don't use that unless your filesystem is <16GB or so in size. It
won't help here (i.e. file data stored in data chunks will still be
allocated on a block-by-block basis).

> Still is not yet clear to me if btrfs can fit my situation, would
> you recommend it over XFS?

   The relatively small metadata overhead (e.g. compared to ext4) and
inline capability of btrfs would seem to be a good match for your
use-case.

> XFS has a minimum block size of 512, but BTRFS is more modern and,
> given the fact that is able to handle indexes on his own, it could
> help us speed up file operations (could it?)

   Not sure what you mean by "handle indexes on its own". XFS will
have its own set of indexes and file metadata -- it wouldn't be much
of a filesystem if it didn't.

   Hugo.

                        --- argc, argv, argh! ---