Am Montag, 7. Mai 2012 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Sonntag, 6. Mai 2012 schrieb Ilya Dryomov:
[…]
> > > merkaba:~> btrfs balance start -musage=0.8 /
> > > Invalid usage argument: 0.8
> > > merkaba:~#1> btrfs balance start -musage=700M /
> > > Invalid usage argument: 700M
> > >

> > > When I try without usage I get the old behavior back:
> > >
> > > merkaba:~#1> btrfs balance start -m /
> > > ERROR: error during balancing '/' - No space left on device
> > > There may be more info in syslog - try dmesg | tail
> > >

> > > merkaba:~> btrfs balance start -musage=1 /
> > > Done, had to relocate 2 out of 13 chunks
> > > merkaba:~> btrfs balance start -musage=1 /
> > > Done, had to relocate 1 out of 12 chunks
> > > merkaba:~> btrfs balance start -musage=1 /
> > > Done, had to relocate 1 out of 12 chunks
> > > merkaba:~> btrfs balance start -musage=1 /
> > > Done, had to relocate 1 out of 12 chunks
> > > merkaba:~> btrfs filesystem df /
> > > Data: total=10.00GB, used=7.34GB
> > > System, DUP: total=32.00MB, used=4.00KB
> > > System: total=4.00MB, used=0.00
> > > Metadata, DUP: total=1.00GB, used=586.41MB
> >
> > Btrfs allocates space in chunks, in your case metadata chunks are
> > probably 512M in size.  Naturally, having 586M busy you can't make
> > that chunk go away, be it with or without auto-reclaim and usage
> > filter accepting size as its input.
>
> Hmmm, whatever it did tough: I believe I had the BTRFS performance go
> down by a big margin by my playing around.
>
> I didn´t to any measurements yet, but apt-cache search could so much
> slower as well as starting Iceweasel. The SSD tends to feel quite a bit
> more like a harddisk. (It still feels faster tough.)
>
> And startup time has also raised:
>
> martin@merkaba:~> systemd-analyze
> Startup finished in 6058ms (kernel) + 9285ms (userspace) = 15344ms
>
> This has been about 8,5 seconds before.
>
> I can´t prove that this is due to a slower BTRFS, but I highly suspect
> it.
>
> So I think I learned that there is no guarentee that a BTRFS balance
> improves the situation at all. It seemed to have worsened it a lot.
>
> Well it was just my experimenting around. I didn´t have a real problem
> before and now I seemed I have to created me one.
>
> Now I wonder whether there would be a way to fix up the perceived
> performance regression except of creating a new logical volume with
> BTRFS, copying all the stuff to it and switching / to use the new
> volume.

I did it the redo the filesystem way:

merkaba:~> systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 6602ms (kernel) + 4246ms (userspace) = 10848ms

Thats not the about 8.5 I seen already, but it was the first start after
activating inode_cache + space_cache, as I didn´t want to activate it on
GRML 2011.12 3.1 kernel. The filesystem has been mounted with compress=lzo
from the beginning. Which also made in space usage.

Also Iceweasel and apt-cache are way faster now again. Almost instant.

Next time I use an other BTRFS filesystem than my / one for experiments
with balancing ;).

Thanks,