Hi Hugo, hi all,

On 13.06.2012 15:27, Hugo Mills wrote:
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 02:15:33PM +0200, Jan-Hendrik Palic wrote:
Hi,

we using on a server several lvm volumes with btrfs. We want to use
nightly build snapshots for some days as an alternative to backups.

Now I want to get the size of the snapshots in detail.

    There are basically two figures you can get for each snapshot.
These values may differ wildly. Which one do you want?

(A) The first, larger, value is the total computed size of the
    files in the subvolume. This is what du returns.

(B) The second, smaller, value is the amount of space that would be
    freed by deleting the subvolume. (Alternatively, this is the amount
    of data in the subvolume which is not shared with some other
    subvolume). It is currently a difficult process to work out this
    value in general, but the qgroups patch set will track this
    information automatically, and expose an API that will allow you to
    retrieve it.

    The qgroups patches aren't complete yet.

Sorry, that I forgot to mention that. I want the size which I will get, if I delete a snapshot. The next assumption I forgot, sorry, was, that the snapshot are not changing. The user only get readonly access to the snapshots.

[...]
There are three operations on a filesystem, I think,

1. copy a file on the filesystem
2. change a file on the filesystem
3. delete a file on the filesystem

Am I right to assume, that operation 1 and 2 are not change much the
size of a snapshot and the delete operation let increase the size of
a snapshot in the size of the deleted files?

    It depends on which measure of the two above you're trying to use,
and whether the subvolume (and file) you're modifying still has
extents shared with some other subvolume.

Sure, and honestly, this is the point, where the complexity is exploding for me. ,-)

1. Copying a file (without --reflink) will increase both the (A) and
    the (B) size of the snapshot. Copying a file with --reflink will
    increase (A) and leave (B) much the same.

Yep.

2. Changing a file will, obviously, cause (A) to change by the
    difference between the old file and the new. If that file shares no
    extents with anything else, then (B) will also change by that
    amount. Otherwise, if it shares extents with anything else (another
    subvolume, or a reflink copy), then (B) will increase by the amount
    of data modified.

Yep.

3. Deleting a file will reduce (A) by the size of the file. (B) will
    reduce by the size of non-shared extents owned by that file.

Yep.

I think, I got the right thought. Thanks for the explanation.

    Note that btrfs sub find-new will not allow you to track file
deletions.

Yep, I got this to. But you can get them not directly by a diff.

You have a subvolume with a file_A on it.
Taking a snapshot snap_A of this subvolume let show the existence of that file in the btrfs sub find-new output.

Now delete the fila_A on this subvolume and take a new snapshot, call it snap_B. The btrfs sub find-new output doesn't show it anymore, right. So, a diff of the both outputs, from snap_A to snap_B gives you the deleted file.

It is a cruel way, but I think, that it is working.

If it is so, it would be enough for me to get the deletions of files
between two snapshots and their size. But is there another way to
get these informations beside btrfs subvolume find-new? Perhaps it
makes sense to use ioctl for it? What about the send/receive
feature, which is upcoming?

Are there any hints?
    Wait for qgroups to land, because that actually does it the right
way, and will avoid you having to track all kinds of awkward (and
hard-to-find) corner cases.

Thanks for the hint, I will have a look for that.

Best regards,
Jan