On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 01:30:20PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I'm planning to use "btrfs subvolume snapshot -r <name>" in the system
> upgrade functionality[1] if the user is using btrfs for their root file
> system. We've got most of the bits in place already for Fedora 18.
>
> One think that confuses me is the convention for the naming of
> snapshots. Is there any conventions or prior art there? Can I add
> metadata to the snapshot so that I don't have encode everything in the
> snapshot name itself?

   How about user xattrs? IIRC, that's the user.* namespace.

   The only convention I'm aware of is Ubuntu's use of an @
substitution, where the subvolume to be mounted at / is called @, and
the subvolume to be mounted at /home becomes @home. Both of those
subvolumes are stored in the (otherwise empty) top-level of the
filesystem, which is not mounted in normal operation.

   Hugo.

      --- This chap Anon is writing some perfectly lovely stuff ---
                             at the moment.